1st Post and asking for advice on exhaust upgrade for 2012 Ram 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello community! This is my 1st post, so first of all hello to all of you!

I'm happy to have found this community. Historically I have been more of an old school car guy, building and working on my collection of Classic Mopars including my current stable consisting of a 1968 Charger R/T, 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner, and a 1969 Chrysler 300.

Anyway on to the subject at hand. I purchased a 2012 Ram 2500 as my daily driver/occasional towing of the old mopars around, and I have taken an interest in doing some basic upgrades to it. THusfar I have put on 35" tires on the stock rims, a leveling kit, and replaced the shocks all around with Bilstein 5100 series. I will also be putting in the steering box brace I've seen floating around the net shortly as well....

Now I'm turning towards the motor, and putting in a couple things to let it breathe a little better....particularly a CAI and exhaust.....I'm starting with exaust and this is the nature of my question:

EVENTUALLY, I would like to see my exhaust system consisting of a set of shorty headers, through the factory cats, into a Magnaflow Y and then a Magnaflow 14" muffler and out the back.

For now, I'd like to just start with the muffler back. The 2500 currently has a 3" single side exhaust.....I was considering changing that out and going out both sides. I will need to decide that now if I am buying a new muffler to know if I am buying a dual or single outlet. If I decide to go dual, what is the optimal diameter considering the exhaust is currently 3" to the muffler.... 2.5 or 2.25" ? Or aother suggestions? I won't be doing much to the motor other than the CAI, a tune and possibly some other simple bolt ons, so I don't want to lose all my backpressure and destroy my torque down low...

Anty advice appreciated! thanks....