1st time Ram owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EdWest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Traded my 2013 Silverado for a 2019 Ram Bighorn. So far I have to say that I'm really liking this pickup. It has level 2 trim, sport appearance package, panoramic roof, premium light group, and 33 gallon fuel tank. I did spray in liner, weather tech flaps, 3m on painted bumper, and 2 inch rough country level to start things off. Doesnt have cargo lights in box (surprised would think that's standard) but oh well can get by without or install down the road.
I would like some input from ram owners on the following:
Rear wheel well rust prevention strategy
Side Hood emblem mods/options
Max tire size with 2" level on 18s
Gas light comes on with 7+ gallons left?

20190420_175344.jpg

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Welcome

Glenn54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
What is "3m on painted bumper"? Thanks. Glad you like your truck.

Traded my 2013 Silverado for a 2019 Ram Bighorn. So far I have to say that I'm really liking this pickup. It has level 2 trim, sport appearance package, panoramic roof, premium light group, and 33 gallon fuel tank. I did spray in liner, weather tech flaps, 3m on painted bumper, and 2 inch rough country level to start things off. Doesnt have cargo lights in box (surprised would think that's standard) but oh well can get by without or install down the road.
I would like some input from ram owners on the following:
Rear wheel well rust prevention strategy
Side Hood emblem mods/options
Max tire size with 2" level on 18s
Gas light comes on with 7+ gallons left?

CincyZach

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the RAM club! Sorry I can't answer any of your questions. Try using the "search" for your questions. I think you will find some of your answers that way. And congrats on the new truck, looks good!

OP
OP
E

EdWest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is "3m on painted bumper"? Thanks. Glad you like your truck.

3M is clear protective filament to prevent rock chips (one of many brands). A must have for anything on painted metal in these parts. Lots of rusty chevys and rams around town. And that's why I'm leaning towards trying to do something with the rear wheel wells to prevent the same thing back there. Not sure how much it would cost to do a film or ceramic coating back there.

OP
OP
E

EdWest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome one I’ve never seen the gas light as I fill up 2xs a week no matter what. Secondly what did you need to know about the badges ? And third once again welcome to the family.797f426d20ce4ab677de3718abe75928.jpg7c9983b24a4c6686f35c72486b994ef4.jpg

Looks like you have a different hood. But I'm referring to the side badge. It's got a little too much chrome for my liking. I've got options to go all black or do some creative paint/plastidip. Also I think it would be interesting to see what they come up with. I think it would be cool to see some sort of fish gill type hood vent to clip in there instead of an emblem.. but who knows. Thanks for the responses folks

Glenn54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks Ed. We don't have the same rust problems here in East Texas but I'd like to keep the rock chips to a minimum. Was this an add on at the factory or an aftermarket product?

OP
OP
E

EdWest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks Ed. We don't have the same rust problems here in East Texas but I'd like to keep the rock chips to a minimum. Was this an add on at the factory or an aftermarket product?

It is an add on. Most dealerships up here do it in house. I made them throw it in while closing the deal. It's not cheap but really prevents rock chips and in our case rust! $595 for front bumper and $240 for 12" across front of hood. I did some price checking across town and the dealership was identical to other shops that do it.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome from Central Texas. I would think the vehicle would have already been treated prior to sale where U R (got no idea where U be). Most people I know up North use Fluid Film. Goggle search in here for info. The badges: well my truck except for cosmetic is stock and I have the Chrome. U can pull and black it out/coat and put back on. If U pull hood emblem, U gonna have (2) guide holes each side in Hood.

Nice looking ride and good luck...

Tangent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Gorgeous truck!

Sounds like you want an invisible auto bra, which are a good investment.

The fuel pump is cooled by gasoline, so RAM doesn't want the fuel to get too low so they don't have to replace as many fuel pumps under warranty.

BruceMorgan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Gorgeous truck!

The fuel pump is cooled by gasoline, so RAM doesn't want the fuel to get too low so they don't have to replace as many fuel pumps under warranty.
Hmm. Great conspiracy theory, but if true why doesn’t the low gas warning come on that early for the 26 gallon tank trucks?

It’s a common complaint. Some have said they’ve had it fixed by dealer reprogramming. Others have used AlphaOBD to fix it I think. Others say this is a “reserve percentage” and is thus a naturally higher number of gallons for the larger tank.

I don’t have that tank nor that problem, but I’d go with reprogramming as the solution. Forum search will find threads for you.

BruceMorgan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I read that about the fuel pump on this forum somewhere.
Yes, usually when people talk about fuel pumps being cooled by fuel immersion they are talking about why you shouldn’t run near empty. But not about accuracy of the gauge.

Me, I also think the fuel pump cooling story is a modern day myth, something that was sometimes true in the era of 2 barrel carburetors and 3 speed automatics and mechanical chokes.

Last edited:

Greg_nc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Nobody has mentioned the wheel well question yet so I thought I’d chime in. I am picking mine up tomorrow but otherwise I was going to just spray undercoating from the auto parts store.

OP
OP
E

EdWest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gorgeous truck!

My real concern was making sure I had the 33 gallon tank. As for gas light I dont really care. I do some camping and hunting trips where its 60+ miles to fuel up. Just want to make sure I know when empty means empty!

OP
OP
E

EdWest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nobody has mentioned the wheel well question yet so I thought I’d chime in. I am picking mine up tomorrow but otherwise I was going to just spray undercoating from the auto parts store.

Can you explain? Is this like a paint or more like a bedliner? I'm terrified of rust back there as a previous Chevy owner. I'd like to know some good DIY options.