2001 1500 tach

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dale

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 2001 ram 1500 with a 5.8, the tach stopped working and now the transmission doesnt seem to know what gear it wants to be in , and it also runs very eratic, idling really low, skipping, generally doing what ever it feels like at the time, it ran fine before the tach quit, it also has a new (transmission and ecm) 3 or4 thousand miles ago, any suggestions on where to start wouls be greatly apreciated thx dale

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I would start by changing out the CKPS but Dodge part only. What brand or where did the new pcm come from and why was it installed?

OP
OP
D

dale

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
iy was installed at the dodge dealer, sometimes it would not energize the fuel pump relay, if you turned it on and off a few times then it would work for a while , the truck has ran fine since it wa replaced last januray untill about 2 weaks ago

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Ok thanks for that info, good to read it was a Mopar pcm. To me the CKPS is suspect, it is the trigger for the ign system, if its misreading or failing that might affect the tach and the way the truck is running.

Edit: The CKPS may or may not set a CEL

OP
OP
D

dale

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
called the dealer part was a hundred bucks, i hate geusseing away a hundred bucks so im going to put it on the dolly and tow it to the shop, and see what the code reader says, thanks for the imput