2001 Ram 5.9 Surges Only at Low Speeds and Low RPM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skeptic68W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Hey guys,

I read through the transmission diagnostics and have a few things to check, but I figured I would post this in case anyone had this issue and has a quick answer for me.

When the truck is cold, and I am accelerating in first gear at 5-15mph, while holding a stable throttle input, the truck will surge slightly. If I put my foot down it clears up, and it seems to go away once it's warmer, although today I did notice it doing it after a good bit of driving. Also the very first 1-2 shift seems a bit harsh.

It has gotten progressively worse, with the first symptoms starting a couple months ago, it becoming consistent in the last few weeks, and today it gave me the first symptom when warm.

I know the fluid level is a little high, so I am going to pull some of that back out, but I would imagine if it was frothing that it would be symptomatic at higher temps, not when everything's cold right?

Thanks in advance