2003 4.7 Valve Cover Gaskets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slow3r

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Silverado 1500
Engine
Gotta change out my leaking valve cover gaskets on the 03, 4.7

Looked all over the net and used the search bar here without finding a walk through. Any tips or things to look out for on these? I know it looks like the fuel line needs disconnected. Anything else special needing done to change them? Silicone, or just the rubber gaskets and grommets? Thanks guys.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
You need to get your hands on a service manuel it will help a bunch.

OP
OP
S

Slow3r

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Silverado 1500
Engine
I did that. Bought a haynes manual at autozone. It was an absolute waste of money. They clumped all the 4.7 stuff together with the v6 and another engine. The procedure they show for my year and motor is not even close to what is needed to be done. uhhgggg.

OP
OP
S

Slow3r

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Silverado 1500
Engine
Project "nickel and dime 03" update. No miles yet, but running great, and not bleeding oil anymore.

Got the valve cover gaskets changed, easy enough. Lots of gunk in this motor, but no unusual noises. Im trying to clean it out slowly.

Went ahead and did plugs also. The electrodes had an .080 gap!!! They didn't look burnt down. Not sure what was going on there. Replaced with oem champions.

Also attacked the oil pan gasket Saturday. Which I thought was going to suck, but it was an easy smooth couple hour job. I didn't have to pull anything but the cross member. Didn't have to lift the motor. It cleared the front diff. Really made my day!

Next is the front end work. I got a new wheel bearing in. It needs a full front end rebuild imo, which I will do depending on how the motor and tranny do when I finally get to drive this thing.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
glad you got it, they blend the two motors together because they are identical other than the lack of 2 cylinders, good thing with the v6 is when you do the pan gasket you dont have to worry about clearance from the cross member.

nathantc

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500 sxt 120
Engine
3.7 V6
just pulled my valve covers today to make damn sure all my rocker arms are in place (dealing with a dead cyclender) the passenger side is ez and straightforward.

i pulled and replaced the driver side without removing anything but the valve cover bolts.

unbolt it
slide it flat against the head towards the exhaust manifold
when it cant slide any farther, roll it upside down towards the exhaust
pull down towards the steering column and slide it down under the power steering pump then straight up and out

do the exact reverse of this to re install

seen lots of video, and pix of people saying to do all kinds of things to do this but i just did, not even an hour ago and didnt have to remove anything but the valve cover itself

my truck is a 2wd 2003 4.7 quad cab