2005 4.7 Coolant Circulation Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

W3MAT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Greetings,

About 9 months ago I noticed my truck was running warm, about 3/4 on the gauge. The coolant reservoir was empty. I added to the fill line, all seemed fine at highway speed, but in slow traffic and idle, it would run warm again.

After some time, it was diagnosed with potential head gasket issues, which was confirmed. It was throwing a code for number 1 cylinder misfire and we found the plug difficult to remove with a ratchet and socket. The plug eventually fouled and the truck ran very rough.

After tearing the motor completely down and replacing head gaskets, timing chains and tensioners, 8 plugs, and the other numerous gaskets, everything except the thermostat, it was reassembled and is running much better. The check engine light did come back on, and runs a tad rough at idle, like when first stopping at a red light or stop sign.

Before the tear down I had to add water or coolant to the radiator every 2-3 days, depending on the distance driven. Assuming this would all be corrected after the head gasket job, I really didn't have many concerns.

Yesterday it began warming up again. The radiator was a bit low, must just figured it was completely filled from the rebuild. Today I noticed the reservoir is all but full of coolant, but the radiator low again. Instead of pulling coolant from the reservoir into the radiator, it is pushing it out the overflow on the reservoir and out on the ground.

Can anyone shed light on what's going on here? The head gaskets have been replaced, but yet I still have a slight misfire and the coolant is not circulating properly and remaining within the system.

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
maybe a clogged radiator.
id go ahead and change out the water pump, tstat and see what it does. but kind of sounds like a clogged radiator to me.