2005 5.9 front main replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary Bramall

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I'm thinking that my front main seal is bad. Lots of oil running from the bottom pulley and back on the oil pan. I am not a mechanic by any means but am a fairly decent shade tree parts changer. Hate to even admit it but youtube is where I get alot of my mechanic "skills". Is changing the front main something that needs to be done by the professionals or something fairly easily tackled?

2005 Ram 3500
285000 miles and nothing has ever been done other than maintenance. A radiator and front end work here and there.

Mikeyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Most likely a shop needs to do that. And if that is bad it’s most likely time for a lot more work.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I'm thinking that my front main seal is bad. Lots of oil running from the bottom pulley and back on the oil pan. I am not a mechanic by any means but am a fairly decent shade tree parts changer. Hate to even admit it but youtube is where I get alot of my mechanic "skills". Is changing the front main something that needs to be done by the professionals or something fairly easily tackled?

2005 Ram 3500
285000 miles and nothing has ever been done other than maintenance. A radiator and front end work here and there.
IIRC the engine needs to be lifted to remove the pan, so if you have all of the right equipment it can be done in your garage but not something I would recommend to a novice, I would check a local diesel shop to see what they charge to do the work...