2005 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L fuel mileage issue...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XenoMorph

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys... I just picked up this truck a couple of weeks ago... I towed a couple of bikes to Thunderbolt for a track day the day after I got it... Lots of redlights and stop and go traffic... I got about 13MPG...

All of a sudden, last week... my check engine light came on and I'm getting 11MPG max.... Any ideas?! It's going into the dealership Tuesday for the check engine light... but I would like some educated opinions before I take it in... and that's where YOU GUYS come in...

I don't know anything about dodge engines as I've never owned a dodge before.. I just got a pretty good deal on this and traded my Ranger in on it...

Thanks guys!
Randi

toofart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 8 spd
Post up the code. On those older Dodges you can cycle the key on-off-on-off-on (without starting) and the codes will be shown on the odometer.

OP
OP
X

XenoMorph

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Post up the code. On those older Dodges you can cycle the key on-off-on-off-on (without starting) and the codes will be shown on the odometer.

Really? That's awesome... I'll go try it on my next break... I'm on night shift right now...

:word:

OP
OP
X

XenoMorph

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sure hope you have a warranty to take your truck to the stealership... (or a very deep wallet...)

It has a 3 month 4000 mile warranty... Not to mention having a 60+ year and probably 30 vehicle family relationship with the dealer I bought it from... It will definitely be taken care of...

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, find out what the code is and we can tell you if it will impact fuel economy. May have something else going on.

OP
OP
X

XenoMorph

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And the code is: P 0456

I also forgot to mention that when I fill the truck with gas... I can smell gas around the truck until I drive it a bit. However, no puddles under the truck and I don't see it leaking anywhere....

Bigdaddycodes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That code is for an evap system leak, that could explain the scent of gas, could just be a bad gas cap. Still doesn't really explain the really bad mileage... My 04 hemi gets over 20mpg... It might be time for a big tune up, plugs, wires, air filter, throttle body cleaning

Sent from the rocket in my pocket

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did spark plugs and went from about 14.5 to 16... I'd love 20!! How'd you manage over 20 lol

Bigdaddycodes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Me getting around 20.5mpg highway average, hand calculated, I do around 105km/hr, tires aired up properly, I run 60psi in my 10plys, it's leveled, I have my superchip, intake, true dual, all my fluids are synthetic, sparkplugs and msd wires, it's 4wd, I drive reasonably, I mean I'm pretty impressed for a quad cab 4x4 hemi to get this mileage. But city I'm lucky to get 8mpg.. I do like listening to that exhaust roar though, definetly turns heads

OP
OP
X

XenoMorph

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just an update... Truck went into the shop today... I explained to them the poor fuel mileage and the smell of fuel along with the check engine light. They called me near the end of the day today and told me that they were unable to find the leak right off the bat, but that they wanted to keep the truck overnight so they could run a smoke test to locate the emissions leak tomorrow. I asked them about the fuel mileage and they said that they wanted to take care of the check engine light first and then they will look into the mileage. They also told me that the Ford dealership that I bought the truck from gave them a PO number without a limit so that everything would be taken care of... So... No real direction as of yet... Just a guarantee that it's going to be fixed for free....<br/>

OP
OP
X

XenoMorph

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another update... Just got another call about my truck... Service manager said that a nut came off where the fuel pump is sealed to the fuel tank... He said that the pump moving around ruined the oring deal.... So he had to overnight the parts... He said he can't guarantee it's going to fix the fuel mileage, but he theorizes that the fuel pump has been sucking air and turning the fuel into vapor and I'm losing a bunch of fuel that way.... It kinda makes sense.... We shall see tomorrow when I pick it up.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Glad they found something. By all means keep me posted on the end result as I am very curious of what they will end up doing and if in fact it helps your MPG's.

I was not really planning on messing around the Fuel system since it seemed to be working fine, but whatever they do, if it helps, might convince me otherwise...

OP
OP
X

XenoMorph

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also ordered a superchip computer thingy so that I can load a fuel economy map into the ecu....

OP
OP
X

XenoMorph

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So... a couple of my buddies in a motorcycle forum that I frequent say that the dealership diagnosis is complete bull..Especially that the loose fuel pump could be causing my mileage issues.... *shrug* I dunno... they called me to tell me it was ready... so I'll pick it up after work tonight and see if there's any difference I guess...

Frustrating to say the least.

Bigdaddycodes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also ordered a superchip computer thingy so that I can load a fuel economy map into the ecu....

Honestly I found that the economy tune doesn't give nearly the mileage that a performance tune will give, plus the more power is nice. But I didn't gain anything from the economy tune and I felt like I lost power, with my 93 performance though I gained more power and about 4mpg, transmission tuning is also I huge bonus

OP
OP
X

XenoMorph

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, I drove 8 miles home from the shop last night... And on my 2 mile commute to work this morning, the truck threw another check engine light... this time P 0455 is the code... I'll be calling the shop on my first break...