2007 Ram 1500 Sport Hits Bump and Dies, Won't Restart

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TonyB1500Sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2007 Ram 1500 Sport 5.7L 144k miles and when I hit a bump the truck dies. Doesn't die slowly, but as if I've turned the key to OFF. Then it will just endlessly crack over, and Check Engine light along with a (lightning bolt symbol) icon will come on and I wont be able to get it to restart. If i disconnect the battery for a while and clear codes, it usually starts right back up and runs fine, until i hit a bump again.

Checked all fuses and connections and I can't find anything wrong. I've replaced the throttle body and TIPM and still not working. Going to replace the crankshaft position sensor, because it's cheap and easy. Anyone have any ideas? I do have an OEM remote start that was added at the factory, and my key is a reprogrammed aftermarket key. Key has worked great for years.

Feels like it a fuel or ignition problem.

Thanks,

Tony

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If hitting a bump is causing this issue then something is being jarred or jostled around. When I have a customer come in with a vehicle like this I perform what is called the "hammer test".

I take my hammer and tap pretty hard on the PCM to see if I can make it die or stumble. When I smack a PCM I hit the corners of the case to jar it really good and I moderately tap on the face of it by the connectors. Wiggle the PCM connectors while you are at it.

Next I take the handle of a big screwdriver and proceed to tap on engine sensors and wiring.

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Check and clean the throttle body electrical connector. I had mine loose and had to really push it in to make good contact.