2009 Ram 1500 5.7 L Hemi- Tires, Rims, Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigal12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I am looking into new tires on my Ram and was just wondering on recommendations of tires for these trucks, and rims....Also wondering about recommended rim size to buy and tire size. and my big question is what size tires can I clear stock? What size tires can I clear with a 2 inch leveling kit? and what about a 4 inch suspension lift?....... With that said would level kit or suspension kit be recommended, and what brand of kit?

Thanks

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the forum!!!! I think if you put this question in the 4th Gen section under the "leveling" section you might get a better response to your question.
Jay

Shaunm59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 of make her wet liters
Depends what your budget is and what your looking for lift wise. Leveling, you can clear 35"s all day and with a lift, 37"s will be fine.

OP
OP
B

Bigal12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Well I don't totally know what I wanna do totally yet, but what would you recommend for brand on each type of suspension kit. and what size rims would work well, I was thinking 17 inch rims

Shaunm59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I see a lot of BDS lifts on rams. Must work pretty good. I'm not a fan of lifts because I like usable suspension. They look good, but that's about it. I'm a long travel suspension fan. Lifts look good and that's all they do; lift the truck up. I have 17"s on my truck and like them better than the 20"s I had. Keeps the cost on tires down and rides better with some sidwall. I like kmc and method wheels, personally.

OP
OP
B

Bigal12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I was more in favor of just doing the level kit and that would be it because the last lift I did on a truck made the truck ride like a lumber wagon and i did not like, but it was not full suspension lift. How badly would a full suspension lift vs. just lifting components vs. a leveling kit?

OP
OP
B

Bigal12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Also if I did a full suspension lift would that level the truck out in the process or no?

Shaunm59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll break down suspension systems and hopefully it'll aid in your decision. Give me a minute here

Shaunm59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just typed up 2 explanations and they both got deleted lol well to answer your question, yes a lift will level the truck out. These new lifts utilize the factory springs and struts to maintain the factory ride quality and are simply for aesthetics. And to clear tires. Same suspension travel and geometry. If you want usable suspension, then that's a whole different beast.

OP
OP
B

Bigal12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I want my Suspension to remain usable, I do not wanna make the truck ride any different or I should say ride any worse my main goal is to make it look better and clear tires but keep a quality ride on both road and rough ground. I was thinking of just doing a leveling kit and upgrading shocks, opinions on that? . But what would you recommend for a normal lift and cost? and what would a recommended lift for usable suspension be and cost?

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have the ProComp adjustables up front gave about 3" of lift, ProComp rear shocks with 1.5" spring spacers. I love the stance and ride of the truck, cant tell much of a difference over the stock ride and clear 35x12.50s with 1.5" hubcentric spacers. If you want 35x12.50s youll need at least 1/4" spacer up front with the stock wheels, if you go aftermarket wheels with correct offset you wont need spacers. Ultimately, your set up is dependent on your budget and remember when leveling like I did, you are reaching you maximum down travel of the stock suspension

OP
OP
B

Bigal12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
would be replacing rims so I would fix clearing tires that way..... What about replacing with air shocks?

OP
OP
B

Bigal12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Also How much did just the pro comp lift kit itself cost you to buy?

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I dont know much about the rear air bags so cant really give you much info. I bought the ProComp front and rears, shipped for $370 with a $80 rebate from 4wheelparts, went to a local store not online. Then had it installed, aligned and a few other things for $500 and change, but there were other things done. You can install easily yourself if you have access to tools and lift, I live in an apartment all my tools are in storage

Boomerboomer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went with just a three inch body lift. Kept suspension stock so it drove great. Nitto trail grapplers made the ride a little rough though.

OP
OP
B

Bigal12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
How much frame shows with the body lift? I didnt like the look of the 3 inch body lift on my old truck..... also what are most guys running for lift kits on this site?

OP
OP
B

Bigal12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Really leaning towards bringing the front end up 2 3/4 inches and then doing 1 1/2 rear then I can clear a 285/70/17. Now if i were to upgrade my rear coil springs and add an airbag to them would the upgraded spring lift the truck at all?