2011 1500 ST quality??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NHbassman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought a used 2011 Ram 1500 ST with the 4.7L engine with 66K miles on it; 1 owner, no accidents, came from upstate New York. I was taken in by the low mileage and good condition of the exterior/interior. Before I could get it to a Dodge/Ram dealership for a multi-point inspection, the starter seized-up on me a week after purchase, and then had a "no-start" issue which required attention and ended up needing a new fuel pump! Also, I have a slow leak front right tire (tire is new). There is no air volume change as I cycle the fan low-thigh, though the fan is cranking away in the dash. I brought it into the dealership for multi-point inspection after getting a new starter & fuel pump installed at a local shop, and here's what was found...

1) Rotten transmission pan
2) Rotten oil pan & screws
3) Needs new transmission cooling lines (rust)
4) Leaking left side valve cover/gasket
5) Clogged evaporator
6) Faulty dash vent valve
7) Rusted right front rim; will not make a good seal with tire
8) Struts
9) 3 open recalls
10) Leaking rear pinion
11) Leaking front pinion

....add to the list the seized starter and fuel pump I'm wondering WHAT THE HELL, RAM!!!????

Thoughts??

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hard to imagine that much being wrong with a 66k mile truck. I had a ‘12 ST with the 4.7 and in the 85k miles I put on it I put in a new battery, tune up, brakes and had the tranny serviced. It had 126k on it when I sold it. I’m wondering if that was a flood truck or the odometer was messed with (if that’s even possible these days)

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unreal what road salt can do in very little time if not undercoated or cleaned underneath regularly

Princeton_Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2011 Big Horn, it had two previous owners in SC and NC. It was used to commute by the first owner who kept it three years. The second owner made it a garage queen. I don't believe the bed was ever used by either of the previous owners. The underside and engine looked like it just came off the assembly line. It was obvious that it was well maintained and service records backed that up. Other than recalls and regular maintenance/service items, there's no record that indicates the previous owners ever had any problems.

As soon as I brought it home to WV, I undercoated with LPS3, I pulled headlights, tail lights, and wheel well liners. Every crack and crevice got LPS3. I pressure wash the underside following driving in snow, dirt, or mud, and so far, the underside still looks great.

I tow a bassboat most of the year as well as a camper during the Summer.

Other than adding upgrades, the only work I've had to do, was to replace the waterpump a month or two ago at about 113k.

Good maintenance is more than just regular oil changes, brakes and tires. I've seen a lot of vehicles that were wore out at 50,000 miles. If the wrong lubricants are used during a service, it's very possible it could result in wear and leaks. Dash vent mechanisms can bind up with lack of movement/use. There's all kinds of possible reasons for the problems you're experiencing.