2012 2500 4wd Differential Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pmmully

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hi all. Brought truck new in 2012. Front Diff leaked at 60k, fixed under warrenty, blew up at 100k, pinion gears gone and pitting on pinion bearing race. Leaked again at 155k, blew up again at 160k. It's under extended Warrenty Forever, no problems there. But dodge discontinued the rebuild kits, and whole assembly. So now in the boneyard business with warrenty. They are getting a used setup, getting new axles as they say the existing ones pitted.

Is this a known AAM pumpkin issue? Why would there ever be pitting in oil bath? This is a dealer maintained truck due to warrenty forever requirements. I have never seen such failures. With the discontinue of parts, this will be a pain going forward. Time for am upgrade?

Thanks in advance

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
The last time I looked at my front gears on my old 2006 4x4 with CTD back in March 2021 before I sold it, the gears looked great with just 110K, talked to new owners said gears look good at 155K, so I have to ask what gear oil have you been using? How long in between gear oil changes? I dumped factory oil both front & rear at 10K & used Amsoil severe gear 75W90 until the day I sold it, never saw pits or any other problems, when I drained the oil I took the covers off for the oil to drain over night...

OP
OP
P

pmmully

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It is a dealer serviced truck since the Warre ty Forever requires specified maintenance per the book. So the gear oil is whatever the dealer used, and is changed per the maintencnce schedule.

My post is to see of there was a pattern of this and or failures,.or just bad luck.

OP
OP
P

pmmully

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Since warrenty forever requires dealer maintenance per the maintenance schedule, they have been supplying oil on the specified change schedule.

My real question here is to see if this is a known issue out there, or just bad luck.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
It is a dealer serviced truck since the Warre ty Forever requires specified maintenance per the book. So the gear oil is whatever the dealer used, and is changed per the maintencnce schedule.

My post is to see of there was a pattern of this and or failures,.or just bad luck.

My self have not heard of any such thing happening to others, not saying it has not happened just I have not read about it. Also do not believe you are required to use the dealers gear oil to keep warranty happy and believe you could have provided your own gear oil so long that it met the OEM requirements, as I see it trusting a dealers standard bulk gear oil is like peeing into a 100 MPH wind and not expecting to get any on your self, JMHO...

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Not a common problem at all (you are probably one of the only people I have heard this happening to) , you sure have something going on though. The first one may have been a fluke and the others were poor installs most likely? That would be my guess.

Are you running big tires? Has the truck ever been wrecked?

OP
OP
P

pmmully

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ok, thanks for the inputs. I have not ever heard of such repeatable issues with any brand. I know this is an AAM axle setup.

Regarding the warrenty forever stuff, all work has to be done by ASE certified and equivalent part/lubricants. I am not sure how they would receive bringing my own gear oil into the shop as they are on the hook for performance of their work.

My take is this is happening due to either one or more of the following:
1) wrong oils, imo doubtful or it would be rampant, or maybe just low quality, but still, it's a Mopar dealer
2) technicians are simply not solid, could be very likely, poor installs, etc
3) poor metallurgy of the parts eading to the proclaimed pitting, which mich actually be spelling
4) defective pumpkin housing, could be a few thousands, etc, leading to premature failures
5) some sort of stray currents or dissimilar metals causing galvanic actions, meaning the pitting.
6) excessive heat

What I can say is warrenty forever is paying a massive bill to the dealer. Given the inputs here, I will stick with the truck as a whole new pumpkin is coming from a boneyard, and is being gone through. Fingers crossed.

Is the front 4wd electric or vacuum actuated? I know rhe old days it was vacuum.

OP
OP
P

pmmully

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Not a common problem at all (you are probably one of the only people I have heard this happening to) , you sure have something going on though. The first one may have been a fluke and the others were poor installs most likely? That would be my guess.

Are you running big tires? Has the truck ever been wrecked?

Original owner. No wrecks. Tires are slightly larger than stock, like an inch or so. I tow with this truck alot, and I use the 4wd on slippery ramps and in sugar sand. Very little water, I do not beat this truck at all.