2012 5.7 hemi trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

12ramhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hello, I`m new to this site but not ram trucks. I own a 98 cummins, 07 mega cab cummins and the 12 hemi.

The 12 is a 1500 quad cab hemi with 26,597 miles. Lost oil pressure and had it towed to dealer. Three days later they say it is fine so I pick it up. Within 9 miles it loses oil pressure so I drive it back to them this time.

Story is I change my own oil and provided oil and filter receipts. I write mileage down in a notebook. They are at this time still fighting me on warranty coverage. Saying I have to pay for tear down for them to see what is going on.

I think at 26,597 miles it is still new and should not be a warranty issue. What do you think?

Anyone hear of this or have any advise? After all this bs probably going to be my last Ram.

Thanks for reading.

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello, I`m new to this site but not ram trucks. I own a 98 cummins, 07 mega cab cummins and the 12 hemi.

The 12 is a 1500 quad cab hemi with 26,597 miles. Lost oil pressure and had it towed to dealer. Three days later they say it is fine so I pick it up. Within 9 miles it loses oil pressure so I drive it back to them this time.

Story is I change my own oil and provided oil and filter receipts. I write mileage down in a notebook. They are at this time still fighting me on warranty coverage. Saying I have to pay for tear down for them to see what is going on.

I think at 26,597 miles it is still new and should not be a warranty issue. What do you think?

Anyone hear of this or have any advise? After all this bs probably going to be my last Ram.

Thanks for reading.

Take your business to another dealer, try another if necessary. Read up on what does and doesn't void powertrain warranties. This is a very common problem (dealers being a pain about warranty claims in general), that is NOT exclusive to the Ram brand.

OP
OP

12ramhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Good advice.

However, is it Ram corporate or a dealer policy to be a pain on warranty coverage?

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Inquire about Internal Bulletin D1227. Not well known, but specifically allows dealers to exceed factory warranty specs in unique situations. Your's absolutely would qualify. They covered my AC Evap at 42 months and 63K miles. Start with the Service Manager. No joy? Start asking for the Zone Rep.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
As long as you used an approved filter and oil with receipts and documentation so you can prove you met the guidelines in the manual, they don't have a leg to stand on. They can't deny warranty coverage based on you doing your own service provided you used materials to meet the spec. If they could, 90% of the farmers out there would not have warranty simply because it is too far to drive in just for an oil change.

As mentioned- try another dealer if this one is digging in their heels.

OP
OP

12ramhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
As long as you used an approved filter and oil with receipts and documentation so you can prove you met the guidelines in the manual, they don't have a leg to stand on. They can't deny warranty coverage based on you doing your own service provided you used materials to meet the spec. If they could, 90% of the farmers out there would not have warranty simply because it is too far to drive in just for an oil change.

As mentioned- try another dealer if this one is digging in their heels.

To answer this here is my story. I first provided oil filter receipts from Napa. Only one receipt showed oil purchase so dealer says no oil bought. I then produce oil receipts. So there new thing is they don`t know the mileage it was changed.

Well no ****! That is what my record notebook is for. Plus with my mileage should be 4 oil changes as per book. My receipts show 4 oil and filter purchases over the last three years.

Headed in today to talk with them again and will keep you informed.

OP
OP

12ramhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Inquire about Internal Bulletin D1227. Not well known, but specifically allows dealers to exceed factory warranty specs in unique situations. Your's absolutely would qualify. They covered my AC Evap at 42 months and 63K miles. Start with the Service Manager. No joy? Start asking for the Zone Rep.

Thanks for your reply. I have been asking for the zone rep for 2 wks. Only answer I get is dodge will not pay for my tear down because it might not be covered under power train warranty.

So what is a motor with no oil pressure and rattling covered by then?

OP
OP

12ramhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well, the mechanic is out sick so they still don`t have my motor torn all the way down yet. It will have been at the dealer 3 weeks tomorrow. The service tech said early indication is for a reman motor under warranty. However will not say for sure until the motor is torn all the way down.

I guess that is encouraging news. Not to happy about a reman motor. Truck has only 26k would think a crate motor would be justified.

OP
OP

12ramhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So here is my follow up.

Finally got an answer from Chrysler today. I was denied warranty on my motor for lack of maintenance. Meaning changing oil. They say my motor is all nasty with sludge.

I changed my oil at 3,000 mi. with Mobil 1 synthetic 5w20 and then changed oil every 6,000 mi.

Hard to believe that happened at 26,500 mi. Rebuilt motor is $9,100 installed. Just thought I should let you guys know my experience and thanks for your posts trying to help.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So here is my follow up.

Finally got an answer from Chrysler today. I was denied warranty on my motor for lack of maintenance. Meaning changing oil. They say my motor is all nasty with sludge.

I changed my oil at 3,000 mi. with Mobil 1 synthetic 5w20 and then changed oil every 6,000 mi.

Hard to believe that happened at 26,500 mi. Rebuilt motor is $9,100 installed. Just thought I should let you guys know my experience and thanks for your posts trying to help.
What a load. Sorry about your outcome man.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Get a lawyer or at least file small claims, don't settle for this ****. See a lemon law lawyer. They will settle the second they receive papers trust me. Don't give them anymore paper work. You shouldn't have in the first place.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Look for 4th gen 5.7 hemi oil pressure issues .
I've read of a few here , I think there would be alot of oil press issues out there if this forum has uncovered a few .

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
how much sludge would there even be? 27K miles? OP says he changed it. Agreed, have you looked at it?

matty169

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go to dealer and take pics of internals..........ESPECIALLY under valve covers. Post them here if you can.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Look at our syn thread, two oils will sludge less then any other by their nature. Redline or Motul, ester based formulas make it hard to sludge up. However, if what they said are true, you likely had a bad PCV which should at least last you 30k. The main cause of sludge is bad PCV, the second cause is bad engine design, and the third would be the oil maintenance. Mobil One is a great oil, there is no way this was the problem, hut just saying if you want even less of a chance this to happen, use an ester oil 5w30. Here the effect of esters under combustion.

OP
OP

12ramhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So I looked at the motor today. It is sludge to hell and back. The oil pickup screen is bad. I stand by my maintenance as stated before. I have no idea what happened in 26,500 mi but it is bad.

Bottom line it will cost me $8,500 for rebuilt motor installed at dealer. At least it will have a 3yr 100k warranty. Haha

OP
OP

12ramhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
IMHO have your oil changed at dealer while under warranty. That way if this happens it is on them. I asked that specific question and that was their answer. Learn by my experience as I have.

So to vent a little. **** You Chrysler products.

I own 3 and was about to order a Skat Pac 392 hemi to replace the vette before this happened.

I will be weeding my Chrysler products out of my fleet in the near future.

OP
OP

12ramhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Go to dealer and take pics of internals..........ESPECIALLY under valve covers. Post them here if you can.

Under valve covers was clean. In the pan is were the problem started.

IMHO the only reason a rod was not thrown out the block was it is way lower in elevation to get the oil pumped to it. The top end was dry as the desert because of sludge in pan.