2012 having intermittent starting issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ksansom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My 12 is having some cold start issues lately. 196,000 miles running synthetic oil with reg services at my dealer.

Put the key in the ignition and turn it over and sometimes it will crank for an extended period of time. Turn it off and back on, starts right up.

Same with both keys. Dealer checked the computer and no related codes were stored. No check engine light or anything like that.

Anyone have similar issues???

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I jumped a Jeep that was doing the same thing a while back, check your battery. Yes I know makes no sense, why it took me 30 minutes before I put a set of cables on it to get it to fire, best assumption, battery was low enough to crank it but something in the Jeep wouldnt let it start due to the voltage being low, that’s the best answer I got since you already had it checked by the dealer. Also make sure all the fuses/Relays are properly seated.

OP
OP
ksansom

ksansom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I jumped a Jeep that was doing the same thing a while back, check your battery. Yes I know makes no sense, why it took me 30 minutes before I put a set of cables on it to get it to fire, best assumption, battery was low enough to crank it but something in the Jeep wouldnt let it start due to the voltage being low, that’s the best answer I got since you already had it checked by the dealer. Also make sure all the fuses/Relays are properly seated.

Battery was my first thought as well. Cleaned the cables and put a new one in it about 3 weeks ago. Didn’t cure it at all.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Sounds like it could be a fuel related issue?

Had an issue like that with a Suburban of mine. Wouldn't ever start on the first try.. or it would but a really long crank. If you cranked, shut it off, and then tried again it would start.

Easy way to check this is to turn the key to ON without starting and wait 10 seconds. Turn it back to off and then on again waiting 10 seconds. After that give it a crank. If she fires right up you've got a fuel system problem.

My suburban would lose prime after sitting for a while and I ended up having to replace the fuel pump because that's where the regulater was.

My 12 is having some cold start issues lately. 196,000 miles running synthetic oil with reg services at my dealer.

Put the key in the ignition and turn it over and sometimes it will crank for an extended period of time. Turn it off and back on, starts right up.

Same with both keys. Dealer checked the computer and no related codes were stored. No check engine light or anything like that.

Anyone have similar issues???