2012 R/T Towing Rating, Why So Low?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NealC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am trying to figure out why my 1500 R/T, as well as new R/T's, have a lower towing rating than a standard 1500 (approximately 5000 lbs for the R/T and around 10,000 lbs tow rating for the standard 1500). They both come with the same 5.7 Hemi, same suspension (R/T has an anti-sway bar), same brakes, same transmision, and same rear end. The R/T has does have a 4.10 rear end gears and the standard 1500 only goes up to 3.92. The R/T has 22" wheels and the standard has 17 to 20" options. My R/T did not come with a real hitch, just the bumper hitch but the new R/T's do have a real hitch. I called the dealer and asked this question and they did not have any reasonable explanation. I did get a Class V hitch for my R/T since that bumper hitch looked pretty worthless, at least to me. Any help determining why the big difference would be helpful. The best I could some up with is the tires and maybe the 4.10 gears are less beefy?

Golden cobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am trying to figure out why my 1500 R/T, as well as new R/T's, have a lower towing rating than a standard 1500 (approximately 5000 lbs for the R/T and around 10,000 lbs tow rating for the standard 1500). They both come with the same 5.7 Hemi, same suspension (R/T has an anti-sway bar), same brakes, same transmision, and same rear end. The R/T has does have a 4.10 rear end gears and the standard 1500 only goes up to 3.92. The R/T has 22" wheels and the standard has 17 to 20" options. My R/T did not come with a real hitch, just the bumper hitch but the new R/T's do have a real hitch. I called the dealer and asked this question and they did not have any reasonable explanation. I did get a Class V hitch for my R/T since that bumper hitch looked pretty worthless, at least to me. Any help determining why the big difference would be helpful. The best I could some up with is the tires and maybe the 4.10 gears are less beefy?
I do not have an answer for why the towing capacity is different but I do have a guess. I think it has something to do with the 22 inch wheels and the load rating on the tires. Like I said this is just my guess

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most think it has to do with the torque converter.

I don't think it has to do with tire size because '09 and very early '10 R/Ts came with the sport 20s.

Golden cobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Interesting I never thought about the torque converter. I'm curious to see what kind of answers you get

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My guess would be the 22s. The tow rating on a 2017 RT is 5,030 pounds. The RT doesn't use a special torque converter (or 4.10 gears) in 2013+.

Ramcharger60

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 crew cab sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2016 crew cab sport with 22s and my tow rating is 10,000 lbs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

ncgrl1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 RAM LongHorn 4x4
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The 22's are forged aluminum which makes them stronger than the normal aluminum wheels. The tires are rated for the same load as the 20' tires when both are aired up to max. pressure. As posted earlier, when the R/T got the 8 speed transmission in 2013, it lost the 4.10 gear for 3.92's as well as the unique torque converter it previously had. I see no reason whatsoever for the low 5,000 lb. tow rating. That's why I tow my 7,000 lb. travel trailer without agonizing over it, and it pulls it it very well. I do pump the tires up to 50 psi when towing...

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I do not have an answer for why the towing capacity is different but I do have a guess. I think it has something to do with the 22 inch wheels and the load rating on the tires. Like I said this is just my guess

i would say you are correct. 4.10 gears would not lower the tow capacity and i cant see how the torque converter would either.

years ago with the 3rd gens, if you had 20" wheels it decreased the tow capacity by like 1200 lbs. seems like the same idea.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know either but will venture a guess that they simply don't come with the tow package, and are therefore restricted to the bumper hitch ratings.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been doing some research for you OP and from what I found is that just what billyw stated is that your truck only has the bumper hitch and not the tow package so without a factory installed tow hitch the manufacter can only rate your R/T and what the bumper is rated at.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't know either but will venture a guess that they simply don't come with the tow package, and are therefore restricted to the bumper hitch ratings.

I've been doing some research for you OP and from what I found is that just what billyw stated is that your truck only has the bumper hitch and not the tow package so without a factory installed tow hitch the manufacter can only rate your R/T and what the bumper is rated at.

i had an express that didnt have the tow package. it was rated for 8500 lbs. explain that.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
1) The R/T has 22" tires, which might mean less room for the body to squat before contact

2) A higher stall converter will heat the trans up more under load, and put you closer to transmission damage, that is why aftermarket torque converter companies don't recommend going much higher than stock if you tow heavy or regularly

3) The suspension may or may not be different (shocks/struts) depending on the year.

This is not the 1st vehicle to 'appear' to be the same but one has a tow rating, and one says not to tow.

Last edited:

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@DannyMK2 chill M8 we are just trying to help the OP

OP
OP
NealC

NealC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am not 100% but I believe the 22" wheel/tire combo is the same height at the 18 and 20" versions.

According to the dealer, same transmission, same suspension other than the sway bar.

I didn't check on the shocks.

I still have the dealer looking into this but so far they don't have a clue.

This is just a guess but my R/T bumper/hitch did not look robust at all so they may gave it the bumper towing number.

I found the data in the user's manual, the bumper rating is 5000 lbs. It says the "sport" version can go up to 10500 lbs with an appropriate hitch. No mention of the R/T but I am guessing that is the "sport" version.

Racer_X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The sport probably has the heavy duty cooling package, the same as the towing package. This will usually be a hd radiator, fan and clutch, trans cooler and possible ps cooler along with different shift programming. Do you have the tow/haul switch on the center panel?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

ncgrl1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 RAM LongHorn 4x4
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
In response to several of the above posts...
1 - The 2013 and newer Do NOT have a different torque converter. It was only used in the prior models.
2 - The 22" wheels and tires are actually 1" SMALLER in diameter to the other wheel packages. They DO have the same load capacity as 20" tires when pumped up to max capacity. 20's at 44 psi and 22's at 50 psi.
3 - The R/T trucks DO come with the optional tow package which includes Class 4 receiver hitch and Brake Controller. Mine was ordered with it but is still listed with 5,050 lb. towing capacity.
4 - Yes, we have Tow/Haul on the panel.