2012 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi Camshaft/Crankshaft Sensor Repair Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlyalls

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good morning everyone, I hope you all are doing well. I wanted to see if I could get some advice for tackling this error I keep getting with the timing on the 5.7Hemi. Here are the things I have replaced so far.

Year: 2012
Model: Outdoorsman
Truck Mileage: 156,000
Crankshaft Sensor: Replaced
Camshaft Sensor: Replaced
Spark Plugs: Replaced
Oil Control Valve: Replaced
Engine Oil: Replaced and has 5w-20 Synthetic

What typically happens when the check engine light comes on for this code ( I occasionally clear it after working on the truck) is that it only comes on when I am slowing down. I do not hear anything rattling such as a broken tensioner per say, but not to say it isn't happening.

I have been thinking about replacing the timing chain, sprocket, cam phaser, and the tensioner to see if this resolves my issue. If I do this, I know I will probably have to remove the head as well to make sure the piston on my right closest to me is flush when the timing dots are lined up. (If you know another way to line this up with out having to see the piston and removing the head, let me know )

I am confident I can do all of that with enough research and youtube videos out there to watch.

But again, I want to know what you guys think this is and if I am on the right course to fix this myself.

Much appreciated to the future responses and if you need more information please let me know!

Thank you,
Josh

Last edited:
OP
OP
jlyalls

jlyalls

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update:

So, after some intense research and homework, I decided that I would start take a look at the timing chain and tensioner to see if this is what the issue could be. Note that my truck now has 160,000 miles on it at this time. After removing many items and getting the oil pan loose, I was able to remove the oil pump and cam phaser to remove the timing chain. I took a flat head screw driver and lined up both chains with the colored links and let them hang low. As you can see in the image below, the new one is a bit shorter than the original on the right. So my hopes are that the old timing chain is definitely stretch and this is why I am getting the P0016 code.

After I get the timing lined up, new parts in, and everything re-installed, I will give an update if this fixed my issue.

Also, would you guys advise getting a new water pump as well?

Thank you!Ram-1500-Timing-Chain.JPG

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Update:

So, after some intense research and homework, I decided that I would start take a look at the timing chain and tensioner to see if this is what the issue could be. Note that my truck now has 160,000 miles on it at this time. After removing many items and getting the oil pan loose, I was able to remove the oil pump and cam phaser to remove the timing chain. I took a flat head screw driver and lined up both chains with the colored links and let them hang low. As you can see in the image below, the new one is a bit shorter than the original on the right. So my hopes are that the old timing chain is definitely stretch and this is why I am getting the P0016 code.

After I get the timing lined up, new parts in, and everything re-installed, I will give an update if this fixed my issue.

Also, would you guys advise getting a new water pump as well?

Thank you!View attachment 463092
If you have not already, pull the intake manifold and remove the VCT Solenoid and inspect it. My educated guess is that the screen is missing and it has come apart.

A stretched timing chain and a worn tensioner can cause P0016 and in conjunction with a damaged VCT Solenoid it can and will cause P0016.

Also, if the water pump was operating like normal before you took the timing cover off I would install a new seal and reuse the pump without hesitation.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
What was the actual code you were getting? As posted above a failing oil control valve for the VCT can cause timing issues and is common for a 2012.

Lee Peterson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
P0016 is most likely the VCT solenoid, it's at the front of the engine under the intake manifold infront of 2 mds solenoids.

OP
OP
jlyalls

jlyalls

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys, I already replaced the VCY before hand and the code still came back, that is why I decided to dig in and replace the timing chain. I used to haul a bass boat around with the truck and at 160,000 it was time to replace the chain for sure.

Now I am having a hard time finding a "Long Reach" Harmonic Balancer Install kit, it seems difficult to find tools in small towns haha.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just reuse the old bolt to put it back on. Then swap it out for the new one and torque it.