2013 1500 gauges reset when driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davidius

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello, I have had this truck, 2013 ram crew cab 4x4 5.7 rambox, former police vehicle, for about a year, about 140k on it. When driving, sometimes the gauges with reset themselves, all warning lights will come on, the gauges will sweep and go back to normal. Sometimes the airbag light or tire pressure light will stay on either for a while or until the key is cycled, other times, when driving either the airbag or tire pressure light will come on for a while and again either go out on their own or until the key is cycled. it always starts, never dies on me, door locks work normally except the LR sometimes doesnt lock or unlock. The new and exciting issue is that when driving, the left blinker will blink three times and the high beams will flash. Does this sound like a TIPM issue? There seems to be no driving duration or temperature theme to when these problems happen. It is sporadic enough that the local dealer said they can keep it and drive it but unless it happens frequently, they wont be able to properly pin the problem down. It makes sense and I can live with all the problems except for the high beams flashing, I have a long commute and dont want to bother other drivers. Thanks in advance.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hello, I have had this truck, 2013 ram crew cab 4x4 5.7 rambox, former police vehicle, for about a year, about 140k on it. When driving, sometimes the gauges with reset themselves, all warning lights will come on, the gauges will sweep and go back to normal. Sometimes the airbag light or tire pressure light will stay on either for a while or until the key is cycled, other times, when driving either the airbag or tire pressure light will come on for a while and again either go out on their own or until the key is cycled. it always starts, never dies on me, door locks work normally except the LR sometimes doesnt lock or unlock. The new and exciting issue is that when driving, the left blinker will blink three times and the high beams will flash. Does this sound like a TIPM issue? There seems to be no driving duration or temperature theme to when these problems happen. It is sporadic enough that the local dealer said they can keep it and drive it but unless it happens frequently, they wont be able to properly pin the problem down. It makes sense and I can live with all the problems except for the high beams flashing, I have a long commute and dont want to bother other drivers. Thanks in advance.
Could be a battery going bad. How old is it? I've had two batteries so far, one died of natural causes the other from inattentiveness but both did weird things with the cluster on their way out.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could be a battery going bad. How old is it? I've had two batteries so far, one died of natural causes the other from inattentiveness but both did weird things with the cluster on their way out.

What is the age and condition of the battery?

With multiple items misbehaving, one commonality is the battery or possibly a common system ground.

Best to start with the easy one to prove first before chasing a bad ground.

Regardless of the age, the most definitive battery test is a load test. Many parts stores will test for free.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Juggle the ignition switch while running see if it happens they go bad often causes all kinds of weird ****.

OP
OP
D

Davidius

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alrighty, I had my battery tested and it passed, wiggling the keys while driving on a bumpy gravel road did not recreate the problem. Something I forgot about is sometimes it seems like the blower motor changes speeds on its own or it changes from the foot and face to halfway between foot and face and something else as the air coming out changes but the sound from the blower motor doesnt. Some kind of electrical gremlin in there running around having a heck of a time poking at various things when it gets bored is whats going on in my imagination.