2013 5.7 vin T into a 2010 5.7 vin T will it work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Pranzo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I HAVE A 2010 RAM 2500 5,7L VIN T THAT NEEDS A ENGINE. I ALSO HAVE A ENGINE FROM A 2013 DODGE RAM 1500 5.7L VIN T. I AM TRYING TO MAKE SURE THE ENGINES ARE COMPATIBLE. THE PARTS LISTINGS FOR ENGINE SAY 10-12. DOES ANYONE KNOW THE DIFFERENCE AND CAN I MAKE IT WORK?

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Yes it will. Only thing you may have to change is the pcm/ecu

Blue Mule

OP
OP
C

Chris Pranzo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
THANK YOU, AND THANKS FOR THE QUICK REPLY! ANY IDEA WHY THE PCM WOULD NEED REPLACED? SINCE IT SHOULD WORK I PLAN ON USING THE INTAKE, INJECTORS, AND SENSORS FROM THE 2010 ON THE 13 ENGINE. IF I DID THAT I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO CHANGE THE PCM CORRECT?

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a friend do this swap and did the same as you as far as swapping sensors but you need to either replace/swap the reluctor wheel on the crank or have a custom tuner be able to account for the timing change. He did not know know about the reluctor change so had to find a tuner to account for the difference in timing.

This explains the difference:

https://molnarrods.com/gen-3-hemi-reluctor-rings

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
THANK YOU, AND THANKS FOR THE QUICK REPLY! ANY IDEA WHY THE PCM WOULD NEED REPLACED? SINCE IT SHOULD WORK I PLAN ON USING THE INTAKE, INJECTORS, AND SENSORS FROM THE 2010 ON THE 13 ENGINE. IF I DID THAT I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO CHANGE THE PCM CORRECT?
That's correct. I wasn't sure if you were gonna do it as a long block swap. That's on me.
The more I think about it even if you did do a full swap.
I don't think it would matter because they're both the same motor.

Nutshell: drop the whole '13 in and it'll still be plug n play.

Blue Mule

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a friend do this swap and did the same as you as far as swapping sensors but you need to either replace/swap the reluctor wheel on the crank or have a custom tuner be able to account for the timing change. He did not know know about the reluctor change so had to find a tuner to account for the difference in timing.

This explains the difference:

https://molnarrods.com/gen-3-hemi-reluctor-rings

Thanks for that knowledge, i would have never known. I've racked my brain how would the pcm know you changed a big iron and aluminum part in a vehicle? Thant would definately be the way.

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for that knowledge, i would have never known. I've racked my brain how would the pcm know you changed a big iron and aluminum part in a vehicle? Thant would definately be the way.

It will run, just not very well triggering codes and acting like it is out of timing because it is.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It will run, just not very well triggering codes and acting like it is out of timing because it is.

So to clarify, pretty much any gen hemi can be interchanged, as long as you have the correct ring on it. All rings bolt on all 5.7 hemis?

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So to clarify, pretty much any gen hemi can be interchanged, as long as you have the correct ring on it. All rings bolt on all 5.7 hemis?

Not exactly, there a lot of nuances between the first generation 5.7 hemi and second generation 5.7 hemi with VVT. Also the truck version is different than car/jeep based hemis.

The car and jeep hemi has different accessories to fit in a smaller engine bay, intake is oriented to the drivers side, different cam and power ratings, different exhaust manifolds.

Also I'm not for certain but there might be significant differences in the harness when they switched to the ZF 8 speed in the trucks in 2014.5. ECUs became locked and encrypted in 2015. Also the electric power steering came with the ZF 8 speeds.

There's a lot to pay attention to, here is couple links to give more info than I can:

https://www.knowyourparts.com/technical-resources/engine/57l-hemi-anatomy/

https://www.allpar.com/mopar/new-mopar-hemi.html

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not exactly, there a lot of nuances between the first generation 5.7 hemi and second generation 5.7 hemi with VVT. Also the truck version is different than car/jeep based hemis.

The car and jeep hemi has different accessories to fit in a smaller engine bay, intake is oriented to the drivers side, different cam and power ratings, different exhaust manifolds.

Also I'm not for certain but there might be significant differences in the harness when they switched to the ZF 8 speed in the trucks in 2014.5. ECUs became locked and encrypted in 2015. Also the electric power steering came with the ZF 8 speeds.

There's a lot to pay attention to, here is couple links to give more info than I can:

https://www.knowyourparts.com/technical-resources/engine/57l-hemi-anatomy/

https://www.allpar.com/mopar/new-mopar-hemi.html

Most appreciated.