2013 backfire concern

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

faitdushred

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2013 is backfiring at 4500 rpm if I stomp on it from a dead stop. I have a 14 inch magnaflow with resignator removed. It is a single exhaust. Anyone know what could be the problem and how bad this is for my truck?

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
Mines doing the same at 5500 during the shift.... Not all the time bust most times. Today when I started it it almost sounded like a rod knocking.... I don't think it's good....

OP
OP
F

faitdushred

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah sounds about the same as mine. I dont know if it was doing it before my exhaust mods or if i just couldnt hear it as much before but would be nice to know whats going on

Gunz86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have the 14" mufflex for my 2012 and it hasent back fired once and that was about 5000 miles ago that I installed it.

Mopar_Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Be careful, there was a guy on here, Ramrod I think his name is, he has the same loud knocking issue and it ended up being a collapsed lifter. I dont know why either of you would have backfires but if the truck is making a knocking noise, I wouldnt be drivining it.

OP
OP
F

faitdushred

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im not sure to tell you the truth. Im not so mechanically inclined. All I know is when i stomp on it and it reaches 4500 rpm then shifts she backfires. I asked my dealer to take a look at it when the truck was in for recall and warranty work early this week but they are a bunch of tools there and didnt do anything. I have had stupid amounts of problems with them since i bought the truck in january from them not tighning lug nuts and my wheel flying off to them not tighting my oil filter and it leaking to almost no oil left in truck. I would prefer to get advice from someone on here then to bring my truck back to them ever again!

OP
OP
F

faitdushred

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah im not going back to them anymore. Only good thing is when they forgot to tighten lug nuts and i lost my wheel driving i went crazy on them and they leveled my truck and gave me new aftermarket wheels and tires then when they forgot to tighten oil filter i went back again and made them give me some camo seat covers. I am now done with them. But if i go to dealer for this backfire problem and they see i have modifications to my exhaust will they just send me away and say warranty void or will it still be covered?

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
CAT BACK doesn't void warranties!

A back fire goes through the intake like an engine running backwards. It was common to see this on older engines when the timing was off. If it's coming out the tail pipe it's after fire.

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine isn't back firing through the intake, its definitely exhaust, and high RPM related....

OP
OP
F

faitdushred

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yeah mine sounds like a big exhaust fart. Im pretty sure I only hear it coming from the back. If it were to be backfiring from the intake like you mentioned would i only hear it from up front?

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Yes! It'd be a kaplow sound.

You need to bring it to a dealer. I get NO back or after firing out of my 2013. I am running a 24" Magnaflow.

OP
OP
F

faitdushred

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ill find a new dealer for next week to bring it in to no way im going back to the place i bought it. will they still take a look at it even with the exhaust mods?

wickedwhite2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2012 doing the same thing. It does it if you hammer on it. It does it between the 1st the 2nd shift at high rpms.

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dude that's the exact same thing mine does. I'm running flow master true duals with a reso delete.
I've got tons of warranty, guess I need to uninstall my BD and take it in. Has anyone else taken it to the dealer?

OP
OP
F

faitdushred

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
im afraid to go to the dealer just yet. I dont want them claiming or trying to screw me saying its because i removed my resingator or swapped to a magnaflow 14"

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I reset my BD rev limits just above stock now I can't make my truck make that noise. Does anyone think it's because of the rev limiter ?