2013 5.7L Hemi sitting for 10 years

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cheeseman21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hi guys,

Looking at putting a new engine in my 2012 5.7L hemi. I came across a
2013 5.7L engine that has 3,000kms total and has been sitting for 10 years. Is there any major concerns I should be weary of with an engine that has been sitting for 10 years? It only has a few thousand km so could work out great.

would you guys stay away as it’s been sitting for so long? Or no big deal?

cheers.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Biggest issue is if it is seized from non-use due to moisture in the engine. If it will crank/turn, then it's probably ok. You'll need to tear it down and verify that pistons/rods are good, replace all the spark plugs and coil packs, new oil and filter of course after a flush. Would be a great time to do a camshaft/lifter/pushrod upgrade to a 6.4 and MDS delete before you drop it in your truck! There's a lot involved with that but it'd be a great project engine IMHO!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hi guys,

Looking at putting a new engine in my 2012 5.7L hemi. I came across a
2013 5.7L engine that has 3,000kms total and has been sitting for 10 years. Is there any major concerns I should be weary of with an engine that has been sitting for 10 years? It only has a few thousand km so could work out great.

would you guys stay away as it’s been sitting for so long? Or no big deal?

cheers.
As Black -Wolf stated make sure it spins over by hand first. I'd change out the front and rear crank seals and maybe valve cover and oil pan gaskets if it's been sitting that long.
You'll want to use all the sensors off your 12 on the 13 engine,as things changed between 12 and 13,your crank sensor should work with the 13's tone ring.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357