2013 EPS is out, U0140 BCM code?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mesaboogie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
My 2013 was fine and I started it up and went to back out and found no power steering. I have two OBDII scanners and one shows no code and one shows a Permanent U0140.
Research shows body control module and everything for that seems to indicate trivial stuff like windows and door locks.
Would that code trigger if EPS is dead? I basically realize I am gonna have to replace the power steering unit but I’d hate to do that and then find it was a different computer module that just wasn’t reading it.

Edit to add: Codes on post 7. I have tested the two fuses and verified the belt in the booster is fine.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are 2 relays on the battery connector, the one toward the front as I recall is the EPS relay. Trace back the eps wiring. That relay can fail or go wonky. Ensure there's power to the entering and leaving side of the relay with a meter or test light. If so, go further down and test for power at the EPS connector (at EPS unit) with a test light. Ensure the connector isn't corroded or wire damaged inside it's plastic jacket. There are some good "Ram EPS" videos on Y/T that go over this test procedure.

If the relay seems good, does your scanner have the ability to 'talk' too the EPS unit? If so, see if your scanner is communicating with the Module. If not there might be something flaky on the module, like corroded wiring where the main wires connect to the module itself (inside the EPS rack behind the square plate). You might have to remove the rack (2-bolts & 2 tie rod ends) to get into the module area. Go watch some videos and it'll all become clear.

Good luck, hope it helps

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mesaboogie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
There are 2 relays on the battery connector, the one toward the front as I recall is the EPS relay. Trace back the eps wiring. That relay can fail or go wonky. Ensure there's power to the entering and leaving side of the relay with a meter or test light. If so, go further down and test for power at the EPS connector (at EPS unit) with a test light. Ensure the connector isn't corroded or wire damaged inside it's plastic jacket. There are some good "Ram EPS" videos on Y/T that go over this test procedure.

If the relay seems good, does your scanner have the ability to 'talk' too the EPS unit? If so, see if your scanner is communicating with the Module. If not there might be something flaky on the module, like corroded wiring where the main wires connect to the module itself (inside the EPS rack behind the square plate). You might have to remove the rack (2-bolts & 2 tie rod ends) to get into the module area. Go watch some videos and it'll all become clear.

Good luck, hope it helps

I have verified the fuses are good and the belt inside the booster are okay.

My biggest concern is if the BCM is how EPS shows on OBD2 since my understanding is EPS isn’t a standard OBD2 code. I’ll double check in a bit if there is a power steering module that the Innova 5160RS can see. Not sure if that’s doable with it. Just got that one so not fully versed yet in it’s functions.

I haven’t been able to find a wiring diagram for measuring voltages anywhere or I be all over that if someone has a link to that.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP
OP
M

mesaboogie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I "think" there are two relays on the batt connector and one of those is for the EPS. Check the one for the EPS..

I saw that video. I didn’t see a section that mentioned relays, but the two fuses on the battery + side. The 125A is the EPS. The other relevant fuse is in the box. 78 I think it was. Both show voltage on both sides.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Whoops! I wrote "Relays"... I meant fuses. Sorry, my bad.

So you have power at the lower EPS connector? If so, might be the the actual unit. And that'll really suck for you if that's the case. There's a circuit board module inside the EPS behind the square cover and some people have found a corroded connector pins in there. There's also a belt that can break. And some sensors which could be flaked out. Most people don't dig into that deep....

Let us know what you find out.

OP
OP
M

mesaboogie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
That’s for recommending a module scan. This scanner has way more testing options. Ran a full module scan. Got a bunch of codes. The tire pressure is from my refusal to top off to their recommended. But the others are not good.

BCM shows U0264-00 (Active). My backup camera was working when I realized I had no power steering the other day. The front is on jackstands so I don’t wanna try tossing in reverse right now. But I installed the tailgate latch and ran the wiring to missing factory door area and up to the radio back when I was more ambitious. I didn’t like the idea of a mirror mounted option only (it didn’t come with) and the radio was only for the higher trim or 4 door. I forget. But someone here had instructions and they worked. I never hooked up the wire for the guide lines that overlay. Maybe it’s from that?

The trailer brake I had dealer installed 10 years ago and still haven’t used it. That’s tossing U0423-00 (Stored). I assume non issue.

I wish I could see a time stamp when these where thrown.

But there is EPS showing too.
C2128-00 (Stored) ECU Reset/Recovery Occurred
U0423-00 (Stored) Implausable Data Received from Cluster/CCN
C2217-00 (Active) Electronic Power Steering Module Internal

So I guess the question then is, the active codes are my backup camera and the EPS. Do both of those have a crossover point electrically that could cause both to be thrown and the EPS to not work? Or I am buying a rack and pinion unit for a dead computer?

Attachments

• F8F94D63-D58C-4750-897F-92A9563DE31D.jpg
    F8F94D63-D58C-4750-897F-92A9563DE31D.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 62C66D78-5DF1-40B8-B5B2-B490F07B8CDE.jpg
    62C66D78-5DF1-40B8-B5B2-B490F07B8CDE.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 6
  • CA72B042-0F28-42D3-B0F3-5B639F87F45C.jpeg
    CA72B042-0F28-42D3-B0F3-5B639F87F45C.jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 37969FCB-D8AB-420A-BB15-FC2C75296E3F.png
    37969FCB-D8AB-420A-BB15-FC2C75296E3F.png
    64.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't know if they have a cross-over point. I highly doubt it. Why would a car company allow a life-safety thing like power steering be short-circuited or disabled in any way by a rear camera snafu? That doesn't make any sense. But I don't have first-hand knowledge.

So, if you navigate to the EPS (in your scanner) can you 'talk' to it? If not, then that points to something in the EPS, or power to it. Like the fuse ...which you say is good. I'd swap those two fuses just to be sure. I'd probably pull off that cover and check out what's going on with the circuit board in the EPS. You kind of know what I know.. by now.

If you pull it off, there is a belt on the pass side of the rack, and a sensor I believe around the input shaft side. Is your truck's clockspring sensor any good?

OP
OP
M

mesaboogie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I don't know if they have a cross-over point. I highly doubt it. Why would a car company allow a life-safety thing like power steering be short-circuited or disabled in any way by a rear camera snafu? That doesn't make any sense. But I don't have first-hand knowledge.

So, if you navigate to the EPS (in your scanner) can you 'talk' to it? If not, then that points to something in the EPS, or power to it. Like the fuse ...which you say is good. I'd swap those two fuses just to be sure. I'd probably pull off that cover and check out what's going on with the circuit board in the EPS. You kind of know what I know.. by now.

If you pull it off, there is a belt on the pass side of the rack, and a sensor I believe around the input shaft side. Is your truck's clockspring sensor any good?
The clock spring behind the steering wheel? I’d assume. I don’t see anything leading me that way. I am 100% confident in the 125a fuse. That’s got proper voltage on both sides and is visually flawless inside. It’s wire that either burns up or carries electrons. The other fuse is the same.

I don’t know how to tell if my scanner can talk to the EPS. I had it run a full module test that it had so I’d assume it can on a limited basis. I got those extra codes that didn’t show under the initial normal DTC area only after running the module test. I know it can do things like engage and disengage the compressor clutch and ABS.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
what scanner do you have? IDK if it can do it either.

Just type the question into google "[your scanner brand/model#] scanner, how to view electric power steering, Forums". That will search all forums. ...something should come up. Play around with your search description/s a little...

OP
OP
M

mesaboogie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Innova 5160RS. I google it. Don’t see anything other than the module option to select the module and then it does a percentage bar and when it hits 100% says complete and then either no DTCs or shows the DTC.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks like a good scanner.

IDK...on talking to the Ram EPS (real-time) using your scan tool. I did a search too. You might see if there is a 'capabilities sheet' or matrix which shows. Or contact their tech support.

So did you determine if there's 12v at the connector down at the EPS unit, right? If so, I would want to know if a scanner (one with the capability) can 'talk' to the control board. If real-time capabilities come back saying, "no communication" to the electric steering, then remove rack & dig into the board area.

EPS Failure Points might include:
1) Corroded circuit board wire pins, or even cracked solder joints (some have reported water in the module housing area)
2) Something else with the control board
3) Slipping belt (probably not... but who knows?)
4) Motor not working properly
5) Onboard sensors flaked out.

6) There are some general EPS videos how they work.

EPS failures happen on these Rams, esp the early years of them. They're not cheap to replace (and often back ordered). Some other owners (forum members) who've been through it, have claimed they heard from part's guys the new ones are 'improved'. I don't know anything about that.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I'm beginning to wonder if a guy might be wise to smear a little dielectric grease on the outside of the power/control connectors in an attempt to keep moisture off the connecting pins.

OP
OP
M

mesaboogie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Dealer says the EPS units are completely out of stock nationwide and no ETA. $3000 just for the part, if it was to become available.
O’Reillys checked on remans. Those are showing as no longer available.
Stellantis really doesn’t want me to ever buy a 3rd Ram.
Anyone have a source they have used for these?