BCM Programming 2013 Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims43

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I've got a few electrical issues going on. Couple of codes thrown which just come back once cleared. Such as "Loss communication with door module A". And some other ground issues. Well, took it to the shop and all grounds are good. Tech thinks the BCM is bad. I can't get a new BCM from Dodge since they are discontinued.

I'm wondering, can I use AlfaOBD to reprogram the used BCM from another Ram? I've seen the videos saying I can but I've got a lot of other questions that I can not find answers to. Like will my truck lose it's Bully Tune? Will AlfaOBD let me change the VIN in the new BCM to mine? Do I need to record my keys, etc?

I would take it to the dealer, but these guys want an organ price for this stuff, it's nuts. Any help would be appreciated, just trying to get the truck working well again and back in the road.

Attachments

• 20240119_152052.jpg
    20240119_152052.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240119_152048.jpg
    20240119_152048.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240119_152044.jpg
    20240119_152044.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240119_152036.jpg
    20240119_152036.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 5

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So I've got a few electrical issues going on. Couple of codes thrown which just come back once cleared. Such as "Loss communication with door module A". And some other ground issues. Well, took it to the shop and all grounds are good. Tech thinks the BCM is bad. I can't get a new BCM from Dodge since they are discontinued.

I'm wondering, can I use AlfaOBD to reprogram the used BCM from another Ram? I've seen the videos saying I can but I've got a lot of other questions that I can not find answers to. Like will my truck lose it's Bully Tune? Will AlfaOBD let me change the VIN in the new BCM to mine? Do I need to record my keys, etc?

I would take it to the dealer, but these guys want an organ price for this stuff, it's nuts. Any help would be appreciated, just trying to get the truck working well again and back in the road.
I'm pretty sure ALfaOBD can do all of that. The module communication issues could just be there from when a door module was unplugged for some reason. Have you tried clearing the codes and seeing if they return? I just had that code along with several others when I had things apart to add tow mirrors and to fix my cargo camera.

OP
OP
S

Swims43

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey, thanks for the advice. I did clear the codes a few times but they would come back after a little bit of driving. It all started after the snow here in Virginia. So I was thinking a wire or maybe water got into a plug or something. Not quite sure, however the shop checked all the normal grounds and stated everything looks solid. So I'm just trying to figure it out without wasting a lot of time and money.

On the AlfaOBD I was just curious because I believe you have to change the VIN and I've read some people having issues doing that. But I'm also not quite sure the BCM is bad. Given the codes popping up like they did.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have also seen messages like this when I shorted out the Star connector on my wife's Pacifica to bypass the SCM. If there is a short on the CANMBUS network somewhere or one of the connectors is bad these messages can pop up. It's basically like a network interruption of communication. If it is only the door module, that might actually be where the problem is and it might be as simple as cleaning and reseating the connectors there. If it's multiple modules it could be a Star Connector or other electrical gremlin.

Checking grounds was a good start. You could try improving the grounds too by cleaning and or removing paint under them and then sealing them back up with something (I used liquid electrical tape) or coating them in dielectric grease. No wasted effort here if it doesn't solve your problem.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I read BCM an I thought I haven’t heard that acronym for a while .. like 1989 .. it’s all relative I think what your starting to go down that CANbus rabbit hole … the other thing that threw me off was you originally posted in “other vehicles “ in general discussions forum .. this is about a Ram truck the one in your profile correct ? You know about the RAM TPIM scenario ? The BCM connector sit under the fuse collective “aka“ TPIM and the TPIM’s are a typical Chrysler engineering faux pas because of their positioning is particularly exposed to the elements.

OP
OP
S

Swims43

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I got the AlfaOBD and Cable. Saved my logs and all that. Ordered a used BCM which I'll get tomorrow I believe. Guess I'll use my friends garage and just start looking at all the connections. I'm really thinking that after I switched all my tail lights, signals, etc to LED bulbs it just messed with the entire system. So I'm wondering if switching them back and clearing the codes might help. I didn't have any problems besides the dash warning saying the lights were out, but of course we're not.

So I guess if I go through and change them all back, then clean the connections and check all of them to make sure nothing is broken. How do I reset the BCM in AlfaOBD? Only things I'm finding is how to load a file from a saved location etc. I know there is a clear fault section but even when I do that now the Check engine light still comes on.

Again, any help would be appreciated.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So I got the AlfaOBD and Cable. Saved my logs and all that. Ordered a used BCM which I'll get tomorrow I believe. Guess I'll use my friends garage and just start looking at all the connections. I'm really thinking that after I switched all my tail lights, signals, etc to LED bulbs it just messed with the entire system. So I'm wondering if switching them back and clearing the codes might help. I didn't have any problems besides the dash warning saying the lights were out, but of course we're not.

So I guess if I go through and change them all back, then clean the connections and check all of them to make sure nothing is broken. How do I reset the BCM in AlfaOBD? Only things I'm finding is how to load a file from a saved location etc. I know there is a clear fault section but even when I do that now the Check engine light still comes on.

Again, any help would be appreciated.
As far as I know, you can take a backup of your current config and overwrite the new BCM BUT I've never done it and not sure if there is a hitch in this I'm unaware of. A safe bet might be to take a backup of both and use a code compare tool to look for differences, then change the new one line by line. If you got a BCM from the same year and trim as your current BCM there may be very little to change. Conversely, a dealership can do this, but that would be my last (emergency) choice.

OP
OP
S

Swims43

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, I replaced the door module, temp sensor, and reset the system. Got nothing, I'm at a loss and have no clue what it could be. Essentially I have no power to the driver door. No light comes in when I open but does with the other doors. So I'm just confused. I could replace the BCM but the guy tested it at got power but couldn't get the window or mirror to move. So again, nothing.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Vehicle wiring use to be simpler
Two maybe three wires for each connector
Now there’s a forth wire.

Find your vehicles wiring schematic with correct color codes
trace back the CANbus connector and test the wire itself for resistance, open, or ground, it’s going to go through a relay.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Well, I replaced the door module, temp sensor, and reset the system. Got nothing, I'm at a loss and have no clue what it could be. Essentially I have no power to the driver door. No light comes in when I open but does with the other doors. So I'm just confused. I could replace the BCM but the guy tested it at got power but couldn't get the window or mirror to move. So again, nothing.
Have you inspected the wiring going to the door? Does nothing in the door work or do some things (the door speaker is powered, the mirror adjusts, the windows roll down)? If no, does the mirror adjustment "L/R" buttons even light up?

OP
OP
S

Swims43

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So the buttons light up. At least they did last night. But no power to the mirror or window or lock button. But surprisingly the speaker works. Checked the wires and all are good. I'm really wondering if for the reason that side of the BCM just quit or if the TIPM decided to die from that point. Not quite sure. Got the same guy coming out tomorrow to dig into it further. It's just getting frustrating at this point. It's so strange to not have power to almost everything in the driver door.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So the buttons light up. At least they did last night. But no power to the mirror or window or lock button. But surprisingly the speaker works. Checked the wires and all are good. I'm really wondering if for the reason that side of the BCM just quit or if the TIPM decided to die from that point. Not quite sure. Got the same guy coming out tomorrow to dig into it further. It's just getting frustrating at this point. It's so strange to not have power to almost everything in the driver door.
I'm not sure if the door modules are driver/passenger specific or not, but if they are the same part number you might try using the module from the passenger door to see if it makes things work.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yeah I got two actually for the driver door. It didn't do anything.
Have you inspected the wires through the door bulkhead for damage? Rodents can cause issues like this.

NitroHvy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

Hey man, I have a ‘13

Hey man,

I have a ‘13 5.7 4wd tradesman and I had the door module issue and no dealers could help. It ended up being the WIM module (wireless ignition Module) which was super simple to replace!

After I took apart the seats and doors to replace all the other modules that communicate with the WIN, it turns out I needed the WIN module.
Key wouldn’t open the doors, ignition would not come on, similar codes.
You could try this.

OP
OP
S

Swims43

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting. Mine starts and runs just fine but as usual no power to the driver door. I did some fiddling around today, disconnecting the negative and back. Drivers window worked once then stopped again. Still starts though but no power again to the door. Key will also lock and unlock the door from the fob, but if course not the driver's door.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Interesting. Mine starts and runs just fine but as usual no power to the driver door. I did some fiddling around today, disconnecting the negative and back. Drivers window worked once then stopped again. Still starts though but no power again to the door. Key will also lock and unlock the door from the fob, but if course not the driver's door.
Do you have aftermarket lights anywhere, have you tapped into any wiring or disconnected any plugs? Is your truck bone stock?
Anything radio, cell phone mount, dash cam anything at all please list. Clearly it’s not the obvious

OP
OP
S

Swims43

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Aftermarket radio, but that side of the harness is good. Passenger door and everything works fine. Radio works great. Only thing that has an issue is the drivers door. I have LED turn signals and get the bad turn signals warning, but they do work. Had an old dealer tech come out and troubleshoot it with the scanner. Even replaced the PCM and programmed that. Still the same issue with the driver door. All the lights and radio had been in the truck for a good while. Until one day the door stopped working without warning. Just some codes I deleted then came back and No door power.

The tech is going through the wiring diagram to determine if it's a CAN BUS or something.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Aftermarket radio, but that side of the harness is good. Passenger door and everything works fine. Radio works great. Only thing that has an issue is the drivers door. I have LED turn signals and get the bad turn signals warning, but they do work. Had an old dealer tech come out and troubleshoot it with the scanner. Even replaced the PCM and programmed that. Still the same issue with the driver door. All the lights and radio had been in the truck for a good while. Until one day the door stopped working without warning. Just some codes I deleted then came back and No door power.

The tech is going through the wiring diagram to determine if it's a CAN BUS or something.
If you have alfaobd I'm wondering if you can use it to send commands and see if the truck responds? Or see if you can even connect directly to the door module? You can control everything remotely with AlfaOBD.

1707186112671.png

OP
OP
S

Swims43

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah the scanner can do that. But nothing in the driver's door. Can get the passenger to work but no driver again. Seriously running out of ideas.