2013 Oil Leak @ Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grantmcw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh boy. I haven't noticed anything in the driveway, but its time for an oil change and when I climbed under it, everything is covered in oil. No idea when it started since none of it has made its way to the ground that I've noticed. I let the dealer do the first change (because it was free), but I'm going to do this one myself and clean everything up. I'm hoping they just screwed it up and I don't have a problem. I guess I'll know when/if the one I put on does the same thing.

A05GSHO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I had the same thing with a Mopar filter, got 4 free oil changes when I bought my truck. Got rid of the Mopar filter and no more leak.

grantmcw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So far so good with the new K&N filter I used. The Mopar filter the dealer had put was very loose.

13Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are posts on the forum about incorrect filter sizes listed for these trucks. I believe there was a change in 2012 or 2013 on the filter sizes, but most of the parts books and documentation out there shows the 2013 uses a larger filter than what comes on the truck. The first filter I bought for my first oil change just appeared to be too large for what was on there. After searching the forum and going back and fourth to the parts store I found the right size filter. Its a Mobile 1, but I do not recall the part #. I will check and post up for reference.

finstinct

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie CrewCab 2x4
Engine
Flame Red & Bright Silver / 5.7 Hemi
Hi guys.. At 28k I noticed being lower on oil than I should be...ok i had been putting off that switch to synthetic so I'll get it done and have them check it out . . . (dealer gave me 4 free oil changes I bought truck with 16k) Got the synthetic done at 29k and at 31.5 I noticed oil in my spot. By the time I made it back to the dealer it was gushing. They say failed gasket on oil filter I reference this discussion they refute it. Take bimonthly 500 mil round trip and its dripping lightly again.Still nobody has found a link or number for the actual starcase? I wanna stick it in their arses when I have time enough to go back there!

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

StoneRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just did my second oil change on monday for my 2014 and I just assumed it was from a bad job at the dealership. Will keep an eye out the next few weeks on mine, this time I know it was done properly. So if it leaks again there must be something wrong.

barry hanna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My dealer couldn't find any Star Case on this issue. I do know that there is an adapter that screws into the filter housing and then the filter mounts to it. I will try to get that part number and then we can see if there is a superseded part number and then we'll know if something needs to be replaced.

barry hanna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I can't find it. I suppose I'll have to go to the dealer parts department and see if they can look it up and see if there has been a change in the part.

14RAMRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Used the k&n HP-1017 oil filter on my first oil change 2014 ram RT with 8 speed. Same size as what came with the truck. No leaks.

TomR00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I decided to change my oil this past weekend, second oil change 7020 miles. Dealer did first one it was free. Put her up on ramps and crawled up under the front, same deal mopar filter (small, black) oil all over the place around filter and below on the steering. :crazy: Put filter wrench on the filter to loosen it and it was already somewhat loose. Oil level was still in safe zone on stick though.
Replaced it with Mobil 1 - M1-113 and Mobil 1 full synthetic oil. Will keep an eye on it.
TomR

Edit: Nothing wrong with filter mount threads, very long, thought I'd never get that filter unscrewed. Dropped down about an inch before completely unthreaded.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did my first oil change on my 2014 express. The next day I noticed a little spot of oil. I just assumed it was from the gigantic mess the oil made all over the steering assembly dripping down on the driveway. I cleaned it up and kept an eye on the driveway. Few weeks later i see a sizable spot on the driveway. Look underneath an oil is all over filter and dripping off filter. Crap.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I applied some man today. Here's hoping it solves it.

chandler1989

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2012 Hemi 5.7

2012 Ram started leaking after first oil change. I've changed it myself after 4 attempts by the dealer to get it to stop leaking. After I changed it no leak but the 3rd oil change I gave it's leaking again. 34k and warranty runs out next week. Does anyone know the "Star case"? I don't know what a star case is but there's something wrong with the way these filters fit. I don't understand the folks wondering how the filter is able to be removed by hand. They aren't supposed to be tight. Half a turn on all my Silverado filters and no leak. I love my Ram compared to the Silverado in every way except this oil leak. Does anyone know the answer?

barry hanna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can't believe this still isn't solved. The adapter is the problem from what I have read here. My best guess is to ask the dealer parts department for the superseded part number and install it. I haven't done this yet since I last tightened the filter as tight as I could it hasn't leaked. My dealer couldn't find the star case. That's a sorry answer I know but that's all I have at this point. I asked "Dodge Cares" on another site for an answer with no response.

barry hanna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From Dodge Cares:

There is a STAR Case S1309000010 for an engine oil leak from oil filter adapter area. The repair is if the oil filter adapter threads are rolled or damaged, replace connector/nipple with new hardened connector/nipple and torque to 30lbs.ft (41nm). If this is an issue then the dealer can refer to this STAR case.

KevoDodge13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
unfortunately, I am joining this club. I am kind of glad that this isn't just happening to me. I just bought my 2013 on 12/14/14 (It is now 1/23/15) with almost 30k. I have driven 700 miles and noticed last night oil spots under the truck. Called my buddy who's a Dodge tech saying that its leaking and he automatically suggested its most likely the oil filter and said they're known to have issues. Called the service dept to see if I can get in today and hopefully they can figure it out first time so I don't have to keep driving back out there (but being that I bought the truck 1 month ago from the dealership, I have a feeling I will have to make a few trips out there if they "checked/serviced" it when I bought it.. I'll keep you guys updated.

KevoDodge13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From Dodge Cares:

There is a STAR Case S1309000010 for an engine oil leak from oil filter adapter area. The repair is if the oil filter adapter threads are rolled or damaged, replace connector/nipple with new hardened connector/nipple and torque to 30lbs.ft (41nm). If this is an issue then the dealer can refer to this STAR case.

Thank you Barry. Now I have something to reference when I call the dealership

KevoDodge13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I took the dodge in the shop and I told them it was leaking oil, everyone in service dept said this is a common issue with hemis. It's not just the ram's but the chrysler 300 hemi ect. My friend who I referred to in my post above, was working and he said he replaced it himself since it has to be torqued to the correct amount. Hopefully this time it doesnt start leaking in the street.

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Wow; have to raise my hand on this too. I've had this 2014 Ram Express for 3 weeks as of today. I noticed oil in the drive way but at first assumed it was my father in law's old pickup I borrowed to haul some mulch. Then I realized the oil stains were too fresh for that. I crawled under my new RAM sure enough oil everywhere and it is coming from the oil filter. I grabbed it bare handed and found it could easily turn it at least a half turn. Filter is loose! I grabbed a rag and wiped the oil up and off the filter and really beared down on it and tighten it by hand. I've done it this way for decades and have NEVER had a filter come lose or leak.
I'm going to crawl under it this evening and see if I still see it leaking.