2014 2500 6.4 what to look for

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd get a hold of Crutchfield.com for the radio. They should know what you need to make everything work and walk you through it.

EriikK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Clean one owner no rust is some good boxes to tick.
Yes the 6.4 can get the hemi tick. But if it's not ticking now I'd stay up on the oil changes with the specific required oil and not worry about it.

OP
OP
S

samsdad02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Clean one owner no rust is some good boxes to tick.
Yes the 6.4 can get the hemi tick. But if it's not ticking now I'd stay up on the oil changes with the specific required oil and not worry about it.
Realized yesterday I merged 2 or 3 trucks in my head. I've been looking for 6ish weeks and combined some ads in my head. This one is not a 1 owner. Carfax says 3 owners but it looks like owner 2 moved and registered it as commercial. Weird thing, Carfax listed it originally as silver but between owners 1 and 2 it got painted black. It's black everywhere, underwood, jambs, bed and underneath, no silver. No accident or air bags deployment. Doesn't make sense to spend that kind of money to change the color to me.

Last edited:

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Realized yesterday I merged 2 or 3 trucks in my head. I've been looking for 6ish weeks and combined some ads in my head. This one is not a 1 owner. Carfax says 3 owners but it looks like owner 2 moved and registered it as commercial. Weird thing, Carfax listed it originally as silver but between owners 1 and 2 it got painted black. It's black everywhere, underwood, jambs, bed and underneath, no silver. No accident or air bags deployment. Doesn't make sense to spend that kind of money to change the color to me.

There's got to be a reason for the color change - it might be something as simple as owner 2's business color but usually it's a LOT cheaper to just do a wrap. But a complete color change would worry me, I'd be concerned that it was in a rollover accident and they swapped the body with a different truck without going through a shop that reports to Carfax, and without a police report (think off-road accident, insurance companies won't pay for that anyway).

Not sure I'd jump on the one Carfax lists as silver - it would have me concerned. BUT if it seems mechanically sound and the VINs match it might be a good truck.

RickyJ108

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently bought a 14 2500 Mega cab 155000, it was bought to pull our camper and toys, 2moths after I bought it the engine light lit up for a tranny code took it to local shop because i had warranty from dealer I bought it from. Warranty company would cover most of a factory replacement but these trannys are known for failing because they are small inside for the truck they are in. I opted to have an upgraded torque converter and tranny installed cost more but piece of mind is worth it. I've put 5,000 miles on truck and aside from some small thing loving it.

OP
OP
S

samsdad02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's got to be a reason for the color change - it might be something as simple as owner 2's business color but usually it's a LOT cheaper to just do a wrap. But a complete color change would worry me, I'd be concerned that it was in a rollover accident and they swapped the body with a different truck without going through a shop that reports to Carfax, and without a police report (think off-road accident, insurance companies won't pay for that anyway).

Not sure I'd jump on the one Carfax lists as silver - it would have me concerned. BUT if it seems mechanically sound and the VINs match it might be a good truck.
Spent the 10 bucks on moroney to get the window sticker. Original color is listed as maximum steel metallic, which is the color it is. I'm guessing a data entry RMV staffer saw steel, pictured their stainless steel refrigerator and thought silver. I speculate the dealership that it was traded in saw silver on the paperwork, looked out the window and saw black and changed it.

OP
OP
S

samsdad02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently bought a 14 2500 Mega cab 155000, it was bought to pull our camper and toys, 2moths after I bought it the engine light lit up for a tranny code took it to local shop because i had warranty from dealer I bought it from. Warranty company would cover most of a factory replacement but these trannys are known for failing because they are small inside for the truck they are in. I opted to have an upgraded torque converter and tranny installed cost more but piece of mind is worth it. I've put 5,000 miles on truck and aside from some small thing loving it.
From what I've read, its the valve body that fails, taking out everything else. If I'm wrong about that please correct me. Looks like there are improved valve body assemblies available. At the first sign of an issue, I will replace the valve body.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Same color I have on my power wagon. Beautiful color in the sunlight. Has alot of green and blue metallic flake in it.
As far as the valvebody goes you are correct that is a weak link in the trans and so is the solenoid shift pack. I have seen the destruction first hand and its not pretty. I replaced mine with a sonnax upgraded refurb unit.

OP
OP
S

samsdad02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same color I have on my power wagon. Beautiful color in the sunlight. Has alot of green and blue metallic flake in it.
As far as the valvebody goes you are correct that is a weak link in the trans and so is the solenoid shift pack. I have seen the destruction first hand and its not pretty. I replaced mine with a sonnax upgraded refurb unit.
https://nextgendiesel.com/collectio...performance-valve-body?variant=41426986729645 was looking at this company. I like it is a solid valve body.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Realized yesterday I merged 2 or 3 trucks in my head. I've been looking for 6ish weeks and combined some ads in my head.
This brings back memories. When I was shopping back in 2014 I had a bunch of trucks I was looking at before finally pulling the trigger on my Outdoorsman (Kind of a mid-level line). I picked it up at the dealership and met my wife a couple hours away for a little getaway.

Came out of dinner..... it was cold and I couldn't wait to fire up my heated seats and steering wheel. But where are the buttons? Looked everywhere.... I knew where they were supposed to be. Pulled the window sticker and Damn! I had mixed up a couple trucks and turns out I didn't have them. Oops!

Honestly, I would have still bought the truck as it had (most) everything I wanted. Same night about two minutes after my heated seat let down my lovely wife spilled her coffee in my four hour old truck!!! Definitely tested my patience :)

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Check all the vin's they are in several locations to make sure they all match.
Yeah, body panels also have codes and you can check to see if they all match. If not, it's been wrecked and panels have been replaced.

OP
OP
S

samsdad02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, I bought it. Price was higher than I like, but it's on par with everything else out there. I'm tired of looking and I like the truck. With the 8-10k a year I do if I can keep it from rusting out I should be able to get another 10+ years or until my eyes fail, whichever comes first.

PO has 35 12.5 20 on it. He had all 4 tires set at 82 psi. Fronts have a little less meat in the middle. I dropped the fronts to 62 rears to 72. Still wanders a little, way better the 2" corrections in the excursion but not the wifes Edge that I've been driving. Any suggestions?
thanks

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you aren't towing or have a full bed of stuff I'd drop the psi even more on the tires. What tires does it have? If name brand you might be able to find a load chart from the manufacturer. With my coopers based off their load chart around 50-55 psi covers the axle ratings so I don't see a need to run more psi in mine. Our camper is parked so I rarely tow with my truck now. If I did I might bump up the psi a little just to be safe. You could always do the chalk test and set your pressures that way. Just my opinion but 72 in the rears unloaded is too much.

OP
OP
S

samsdad02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
on a different note, someone swapped a laramie interior into it and put a jvc head unit in. It looks like the seats are heated but I think I need to get the proper idatalink stuff for it to work. Since the truck didn't come from the factory with heated seats is it going to be difficult to get that option to work?