2014 express 4x4 engagement issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jizzo17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I began having issues with my 4x4 engaging last weekend(125,000miles). I drove in a ditch to check a duck hole, front end was in the ditch back tires were on dry ground. Hit the button to put it in high and it stopped blinking as usual. Put the dial in drive and when I gave it gas grinding/clicking came from the front end. I opened the hood and reached the axle shafts and both of them were loose/wobbly. I assumed they somehow slid off the shafts of the front diff. I crawled under it again today and slid the axles back on the diff shafts. Put it in 4x4 and turned. Still not working. The prop shaft from the tcase to the front diff spins freely by hand when in 2x4.

I am not getting any codes or burned up fuses. Thanks In advance.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
A cv isn't broken is it? Could be a diff actuator or stripped splines in the shaft

OP
OP
Jizzo17

Jizzo17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, both shafts are good. A boot is cut on passenger side and there are cracks in the others so I just ordered two complete assemblies to replace both sides. Even after I install those I feel like that still won’t solve my issue. I’ve read about the splines maybe being worn down on the output shafts of the diff so I will check those when I install the new axles.

OP
OP
Jizzo17

Jizzo17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put the truck in the air to inspect it further with the 4x4 engaged. I’m getting power through the front diff and is turning the diff output shaft but not the CV on the driver side. I assume one or the others (or both) splines are wore down. Passenger side output shaft from diff is not turning even in low range.

Does this sound like something internal with the diff is broken or can I get away with replacing both intermediate shafts?

I’m waiting on sockets to come in to pull the cv nut off anyway so I can just go ahead and order the other shafts as well.

OP
OP
Jizzo17

Jizzo17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I continued with my tear down and I believe this would be the culprit for the driver side. I’m sure the passenger is the same. IMG_2456.jpeg

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Yeah that's what I thought it would be.