2014 Express vs Big horn ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BULL55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI 8 SPEED 4X4 3.21 GEAR
I can comment on the BIG HORN but my 2014 EXPRESS ST CC 4X4 rides very nice!

OP
OP
D

desant89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Big Horn was a previous rental vehicle. I should have mentioned this earlier. I highly doubt anything was changed. However, I am going to check the tire pressure. For some reason, I think I recall seeing 38's and 39s for pressure. Dodge has it now an update, and a short in my interior lights when opening the doors. I did have them go over the suspension, and they said no issues. I will get pics and find out more when I get it back. I only had it for 2 days before Dodge got it. Thanks!

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My Big Horn was a previous rental vehicle. I should have mentioned this earlier. I highly doubt anything was changed. However, I am going to check the tire pressure. For some reason, I think I recall seeing 38's and 39s for pressure. Dodge has it now an update, and a short in my interior lights when opening the doors. I did have them go over the suspension, and they said no issues. I will get pics and find out more when I get it back. I only had it for 2 days before Dodge got it. Thanks!

Did yours have single exhaust?

OP
OP
D

desant89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you say more air time than a 737? Sorry people beat on rental vehicles.

How much can you beat a new truck with 10k on it (and not have to pay the rental company). Supposed to be a tough truck. Even so, the dealer would be replacing anything defective, but is saying nothing is wrong. The way rental companies charge for damage, I don't think the vehicle was used off road. It is actually in perfect condition aesthetically.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
How much can you beat a new truck with 10k on it (and not have to pay the rental company). Supposed to be a tough truck. Even so, the dealer would be replacing anything defective, but is saying nothing is wrong. The way rental companies charge for damage, I don't think the vehicle was used off road. It is actually in perfect condition aesthetically.

I don't mean to offend honestly. It's hard not to point that out without it coming out bad. I've driven a 13 ram that was a rental and it had 23k on it so more that double yours but it felt way abused back tires were bawled 0 tread and just felt abused. It was a big horn vs my 14 express and I missed my truck even though I was in a nicer model. I know how people treat rental vehicles and it's very sad that people feel the need to drive rental cars like they are running for there life. I have been with a co worker that jumped a Jetta over some railroad tracks (hit my damn head on the roof) and it had less that 5k on it. Don't want you to feel
Like your truck is wore out or anything it still has a lot of life and many trouble free miles to go but the first 10k were probably pretty hard on it.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I agree about the rentals and what 14 hemi is saying. 10k can definitely be a lot depending. My 14 bighorn quad rides like a cadillac. I couldnt be happier. Obviously something is wrong if the truck isnt smooth. Mine is like glass! I would keep after them. Good luck

OP
OP
D

desant89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys. I am sure they were not easy miles. I think it was actually used to tow with no trailer brake to be honest. Dealer found all 4 rotors, brakes, and from Calipers were shot. When you take the piston off, caliper off, the piston is kind of disintegrated, and seized. Only way they can think that can happen was towing. I was thinking it was rented for a move cross country or something. The body and interior does not show any signs of neglect in any way. I am covered for all repairs from purchasing dealer, but perhaps all of that going on with brakes squeaking and stuff was making everything seem worse. I should have it back today or tomorrow so I will see.

I am glad that the dealer i bought it from is paying my Dodge dealer for the repairs. At least I know nothing crazy going on or being hidden. I did emphasize again today to them that I want the suspension checked again. Thanks again everyone.

fondupot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the brakes are worn out, could be that your suspension is worn out too.

OP
OP
D

desant89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, got the truck back. Ride is pretty much the same. The ride is not that bad, it just rides harder than the express does. Back to the payload difference of 130 pounds, I am kind of convincing myself that the spring rate is different on the SLT Big Horn than in the Express. Dodge checked suspension again, and drove it and said no issues.

I will be calling Dodge to try to find out on Friday. I have just searched online, and found that there are 10 different springs to choose from in the rear alone for the both the Express and Big Horn. So my next question will be do you replace the shocks or springs to get a softer ride?

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I have 1 quick question. What's the gvw of your truck off the sticker inside the door?

ncgrl1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 RAM LongHorn 4x4
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Check to see if both have the rear sway bar. My Express did not come with it from the factory. I later added it, and it made the ride quite a bit firmer...

OP
OP
D

desant89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check to see if both have the rear sway bar. My Express did not come with it from the factory. I later added it, and it made the ride quite a bit firmer...

I will check this today. Thanks!

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
My express is a 4wd and it is 3900 front and rear also.

OP
OP
D

desant89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I seen yesterday that his express does have a swaybar. Has to be different springs.

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Go here: Ram Trucks - Contact Us

Click on "Equipment Listing" on the left.
Enter the VIN for each truck and get the build sheet. Whatever's different will show up there.