2014 Overhead console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whitee25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2014 Ram 1500 Express model didn’t come with the overhead light console. I’m wondering how difficult it would be to add it. Also if so where could I find the correct part numbers? I was on the Ram sight and couldn’t find anything. Figured someone here would know. Thanks very much, Jim

gypsy400

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Search the forum

I've read a thread where someone has done it.. part numbers included
You may find all of the parts at a scrapyard

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
W

Whitee25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I saw the center console post but nothing for overhead.

Jaywoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 & 2018
Engine
Hemi 5.7 & Cummins
eBay has them. You can even get them with homelink. Around $100 and plug and play.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
eBay has them. You can even get them with homelink. Around $100 and plug and play.
The Homelink is only plug and play if your truck originally came with the overhead console from the factory. If the truck did not come with the overhead console you can purchase the overhead console and bracket and run the the wiring for the lights. There are actually kits you can purchase on Ebay. If you want the compass and the Homelink to work you will need to buy a correctly optioned overhead console for a 13 or newer Ram and then install all the correct wiring and then enable the correct codes in the BCM. There are two to enable. One is the CV2 overhead console code and the other is the compass code but I can remember the Chrysler abbreviation at the moment. Long story short it's not to bad to just install the overhead for lights and a better look and you can actually purchase kits to do it. If you are planning on making the compass and the Homelink work there is much more involved if your truck didn't already come with the overhead console.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

bryce88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The Homelink is only plug and play if your truck originally came with the overhead console from the factory. If the truck did not come with the overhead console you can purchase the overhead console and bracket and run the the wiring for the lights. There are actually kits you can purchase on Ebay. If you want the compass and the Homelink to work you will need to buy a correctly optioned overhead console for a 13 or newer Ram and then install all the correct wiring and then enable the correct codes in the BCM. There are two to enable. One is the CV2 overhead console code and the other is the compass code but I can remember the Chrysler abbreviation at the moment. Long story short it's not to bad to just install the overhead for lights and a better look and you can actually purchase kits to do it. If you are planning on making the compass and the Homelink work there is much more involved if your truck didn't already come with the overhead console.

So all trucks have a harness behind there for lights even if there's no overhead console? But no harness for the homelink? Am I understanding that correctly?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So all trucks have a harness behind there for lights even if there's no overhead console? But no harness for the homelink? Am I understanding that correctly?

No unfortunately the trucks that don't have the overhead console have none of the wiring. You would need to add it all.

bryce88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
No unfortunately the trucks that don't have the overhead console have none of the wiring. You would need to add it all.

Ok, So I'd need to add all the wiring. Are the ebay kits you're talking about the ones that include just the little pigtails (like this photo)? or are there some that have an entire harness? (including wiring for lights and homelink etc.)

s-l1600.jpg

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, So I'd need to add all the wiring. Are the ebay kits you're talking about the ones that include just the little pigtails (like this photo)? or are there some that have an entire harness? (including wiring for lights and homelink etc.)

s-l1600.jpg
I ordered what you have there for mine. Those pigtails aren’t long enough to reach the green plug if I remember right? I used a hot glue gun on the wires to keep them from rattling.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

s-l1600.jpg
Yip that's it. Remember that overhead kit doesn't have the compass module or the Homelink or anything necessary to do anything other than to install it for lights.

bryce88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I ordered what you have there for mine. Those pigtails aren’t long enough to reach the green plug if I remember right? I used a hot glue gun on the wires to keep them from rattling.
Yip that's it. Remember that overhead kit doesn't have the compass module or the Homelink or anything necessary to do anything other than to install it for lights.

Ok, So I bought an overhead console from another forum member that included the homelink so if I just buy the pigtails, do they just plug into the back of that green connector (at the right locations) and then I splice in the extra wire needed to make it to the console?
And then, at the back of the console do I need to get the proper connectors? or do the pigtails plug into that as well?

BTW I like the hot glue Idea, thanks for the tip!

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, So I bought an overhead console from another forum member that included the homelink so if I just buy the pigtails, do they just plug into the back of that green connector (at the right locations) and then I splice in the extra wire needed to make it to the console?
And then, at the back of the console do I need to get the proper connectors? or do the pigtails plug into that as well?

BTW I like the hot glue Idea, thanks for the tip!
You might have to find the connector for the LED cup holder light but I’m not sure, mine didn’t come with it so I had to make one.

One other tip and I know you will like this one, when cutting the headliner, start small, really small and work your way out until you get what you need. I had the benefit of several work trucks that had the console so I just dropped one and made myself a template. When you get your console in you will be able to see that it’s two pieces, the black piece can be removed from the grey or brown and that will be close the size hole you will need in headliner. Be very careful towards the windshield as the cutting gets close. The front of the console rests on the lip of the headliner. Take a deep breath before you cut and then go slow, it’ll be messy this way but hopefully you make a hole that’s to big.

bryce88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You might have to find the connector for the LED cup holder light but I’m not sure, mine didn’t come with it so I had to make one.

One other tip and I know you will like this one, when cutting the headliner, start small, really small and work your way out until you get what you need. I had the benefit of several work trucks that had the console so I just dropped one and made myself a template. When you get your console in you will be able to see that it’s two pieces, the black piece can be removed from the grey or brown and that will be close the size hole you will need in headliner. Be very careful towards the windshield as the cutting gets close. The front of the console rests on the lip of the headliner. Take a deep breath before you cut and then go slow, it’ll be messy this way but hopefully you make a hole that’s to big.
That sounds like pretty good advice. So were you able to get the home link wired up and working too? I have read all the threads about adding overhead consoles and be haven't found out which pins on the green connector correspond to the homelink. (On 2013+ trucks, because apparently it's different wiring)

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That sounds like pretty good advice. So were you able to get the home link wired up and working too? I have read all the threads about adding overhead consoles and be haven't found out which pins on the green connector correspond to the homelink. (On 2013+ trucks, because apparently it's different wiring)

I got it working for a about a minute then the module took a dump. I replaced the monitor and it did the same thing so Im guessing something is different in the wiring from what was availableto me at the time as far schematics for the 2015. Both modules powered up and worked shortly then quit all together. I tried to link to the Canbus and I believe that’s my mistake? I don’t believe the module needs the link to work even though I’ve read somewhere it does. I just use my openers fob for now. I’ll look and see if I can find the wiring pin out I used for homelink.