2014 Ram 1500 - Identify a yellow wire by OBD connector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverhawk1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Hey, folks. I have a quick question.

I was installing the integrated trailer brake controller, and part way through, I found I have this yellow wire (usually an accessory in my old brain) just hanging out. It's zip-tied to the OBD connector harness, but I have the one yellow wire in the back of the OBD connector, so I know it isn't that one. In the following picture, it's poking out to the right, the OBD connector is in the top-left corner, and the pedals are toward the bottom.

20200731_215118.jpg

Also, in case it's related (I doubt it, but put the information out there, right?) I'm getting a U113B (lost connection to switch bank module). I expect I'll need to re-open the fascia around the radio and ensure everything is plugged in, but I'd rather get that yellow wire where it belongs. Having it hanging out like that is causing my OCD to flare up. Can anyone tell me what that might be? It looks like it slips into a connector of some sort.

Thanks!
Joe

OP
OP
S

silverhawk1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
FYI, though the subject has the MY info, I'd probably better list it. It's a 2014 Ram 1500 5.7l pickup.

OP
OP
S

silverhawk1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Circling back, the U113B was not related - I had snapped the connector lock housing on the back of the switch bank (lower buttons center of dash) and it came loose.

On the yellow wire, it is still not connected. I found another orange wire just hanging out, too. The yellow one looks like it was zip-tied to it's own harness, so likely this wiring harness came from a donor vehicle and these were unused on this truck. Live and learn.

Thanks for the eyes!

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Circling back, the U113B was not related - I had snapped the connector lock housing on the back of the switch bank (lower buttons center of dash) and it came loose.

On the yellow wire, it is still not connected. I found another orange wire just hanging out, too. The yellow one looks like it was zip-tied to it's own harness, so likely this wiring harness came from a donor vehicle and these were unused on this truck. Live and learn.

Thanks for the eyes!
Do you have the led installed next to your obd. If not that is what the yellow wire should be. But it should be a yellow and black i believe. Either way there should also be a connector on the end if its what im thinking

OP
OP
S

silverhawk1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I will have to check. I could not see one when I disconnected the OBD from the lower panel along with the hood patch. It could very well be there and I completely missed it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
rams are pretty cool like that. all the wiring for everything is installed up to the point of the module no matter which trim level you buy. an express with base radio will have a subwoofer plug tucked under the carpet :}

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will have to check. I could not see one when I disconnected the OBD from the lower panel along with the hood patch. It could very well be there and I completely missed it.

1 more thing. Would you like one. lol. I have the led and trim ring that clips in next to the obd. driver side led only though.....

OP
OP
S

silverhawk1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I don't have one. I am assuming the clip and the LED fit into the lower steering dash panel, right? No other modifications?

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7

You will have to excuse the blue light accents that I put in since my limited has the blue LED tube accent lighting in the doors and such. But that's what you're looking for and the exact same thing is on the passenger side. All the grahams are pre wired with them so once you have the part it's plug and play. You may need alpha. There is a foot well lighting option but I don't know anybody that's had to actually use it. Same goes for if you put this which and lamp inside your upper jockey Box

20200803_214458.jpg

20200803_213807.jpg

20200803_213511.jpg

20200803_214516.jpg

20200803_213853.jpg

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have one. I am assuming the clip and the LED fit into the lower steering dash panel, right? No other modifications?
just find the plug and plug er in
maybe activate footwell lights in alpha? fuse? i have had them in every truck