2014 Ram 1500 laramie towing mirror puddle light question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fangt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all, I got some issues with the puddle lights on my 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie.
I brought my truck back in 2017 and it comes with normal side mirrors (not towing mirrors), I brought a set of towing mirrors from 1A auto and it works fine till about 1 month ago. I received left rear turn signal light bulb out message on my dash and the turn indicator my the dash began to hyper-flash when I turned on the left turn signal. I did a inspection, all the turn signal light were working 100 precent, all the LED elements were functional, except the puddle lights, the left side has burned out and right side has one burned out LED elements (there were two in the puddle light). I did a little googling and I believe the puddle light might be the cause, or at least, I needed to replace these puddle lights.
I brought a pair from Amazon, installed them and the they lighted up, then I proceeded to discount the negative battery terminal for 20 minutes to reset the computer in order to get rid of the bulb out message. After I reconnected the negative battery terminal, the puddle light stopped working. I disconnected the puddle light and measured the voltage output from the truck connector. The connections were giving out 12v of voltage. At this stage, I thought maybe by re-connection the negative battery terminal, I might have send some voltage spike to the new puddle lights and burn them out somehow.
Therefore, I brough another set from the same vender on Amazon, reconnected them, and got no light. I disconnected them, measured the voltage out put from the truck, 12v.
I returned the second pair and ordered another set from different vender with different LED arrangement, connected them, no light. I then measured the voltage out put from the truck again, 12V.
I am really stumped at this stage.
I believe the truck is giving out power to puddle light connections, as I measured 12V from truck connectors when I unlock the truck with my keyfob.
What is the chance that all three set of puddle lights were faulty? The first set worked good, till I disconnect and reconnect the battery. The other two sets were brand spanking new and never light up.
My speculations, at this stage, are by some sheer (un)luck, I got 3 sets of faulty LED lights. If this is the case, is here anyway to verify if the LED lights are good or not?
I measured the resistance of the lights and they are in 0.5 Mohm range, I believe this measurement is normal, as when I measured the resistance of my house hold LED bulb, they are about the same resistance. As they are Light Emitting DIODE, the resistance is not a really good indicator anyway. Can I just hook them directly to my spare truck battery and see if them light up?
Is it possible that the truck were giving 12V on the connector but somehow, not enough current to excite the diode.......
Any suggestion with some insight on how LED works or speculations on what might be the cause of my issue is much appreciated.

OP
OP
F

Fangt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes. Tried back and forth few times. Another strange thing is the truck connection gives 12v without LED connected, but only gives about 2.4v when I have the LED connected and unlock the door with key fob......

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I replaced the led's on my tow mirrors on my 2011 2 yrs ago took me 4 times of returning sets to get good ones that worked. They still work but one flickers now/has water in it no one makes good led's for this tbh I will link the ones i bought later at least they will last ab 2 yrs lol.

OP
OP
F

Fangt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Problem solved. Let's just say it is a short between keyboard and the chair. The towing mirror being aftermarket, it does not have the the factory plug in. I had to cut off the connectors and splice in the wires. After reading LeeD's comment, I decided to double check my splices, and found I spliced the wiring backwards.
Now the puddle lights are working. Gonna remove the one star rating and nasty commnet on Amazon..
Just hope this is fix my left rear turn signal out warning.

OP
OP
F

Fangt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update....I installed the puddle lights. Both of them worked. Disconnected the negative battery terminal for 20 minutes and reconnect it. The puddle light stopped working.
Very very strange....indeed.