2014 Ram 4x4 issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rmzrider12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I own a 2014 Ram 1500 5.7 with a 6 speed. Just hit 110,000km (69,000 miles) and have had almost no issues. Although the other day I was pulling onto a road under heavy throttle and I completely lost all power and noticed the red lightning bolt show on the dash. The truck quickly regained power and the lightning bolt went away.

Now ever since I have been having some 4x4 issues and I am not sure if they are related. The truck will go into 4x4 no problem. But when I switch back to 2wd it will not return to 2wd, even though the 4x4 light turns off. The truck will only return to 2wd after multiple minutes of driving at slow speeds or a quick stab of the throttle. Any idea what kind of issue I am up against?

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Test your T-case actuator and test your battery

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Like mentioned above the tcase acuators suck Just ordered one for my 2014 after I got stuck at the boat ramp and realized my dam 4x4 ddint work lol also I would scan the truck with a good scanner see if any codes come up.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I had problems with my FOBIC ignition switch when I first got my 2012 2500... It would do exactly as you described, electrical error lightning bolt, loss of power, then fire back up and run fine until the next time. Someone on a forum (don't remember if it was this one) suggested the switch was intermittant and that the fobs made the problem worse because of how far they stuck out unsupported. I looked into replacing the switch and fobs and decided that was waaaaay too freakin' expensive. So I removed the switch and disassembled it, cleaned everything inside the plastic case with contact cleaner, gave the contacts a little lovin' with a Scotch Brite pad, and put it all back together. I needed an extra fob so went to a stealer and bought a new one and had it programmed. That was 6 years ago and I haven't had that problem ever occur again.

As far as the transfer case issue... All I can say is gawd I love my manual floor shifter!!! :)