2014 ram 5.7 spark plug replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2013 had copper plug's. Correct me if im wrong but i think halfway through 2013 they switched to Iridium plugs and put a insert in you manual stating the change. So before 2013 copper plugs, after 2013 Iridium plugs, right?

TXLNGHRN10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2013 had copper plug's. Correct me if im wrong but i think halfway through 2013 they switched to Iridium plugs and put a insert in you manual stating the change. So before 2013 copper plugs, after 2013 Iridium plugs, right?
Yes they did. I bought my '13 in may of '13 and had said insert for 100,000 mile plugs

Hydrasport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2013 with the 8 speed (late 2013 build) and it had copper plugs. I replaced them at 75,000 miles with iridium NGK's and have not seen any issues or check engine lights. Seems to me that the iridium plugs would be easier to fire than copper plugs so the coils packs should be sufficient. What am I missing in regards to installing iridium plugs? The price for the iridium plugs was only a little more with Rock Auto and numerous discounts and rebates.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My build date for my 2014 Ram 5.7L 4X4 QC is September 2013 ...
I'm thinking I need the NGK iridium plugs ? At least that's what the owner's manual says [emoji16]
I plan to change them this summer at about 60k .
Before anyone yells at me about changing the plugs early ....I've been a professional mechanic for 28 years and I've learned to over maintain my personal vehicles.

Trust me if you take the manufacturers recommended maintenance schedule and reduce it by approximately 30% you will have very few issues [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TXLNGHRN10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 13 had the 100,000 insert in the owners manual, but when I pulled the plugs last night they were COPPER LZFR5C plugs. 112xxx miles on the truck and the plugs looked pretty good still.
I thought they would have been the irridium plugs, so that's what I bought. I went ahead and put the irridiums in and will report back if any issues arise.

Kong

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2013 RAM 5.7 HEMI early build. Purchased new. Not until i was reading the manual did i see my plugs had to be changed every 30K. that i though was strange! BUT at the first change about 45K i knew this wasn't going to fly HEMI motors are a pain to change plugs even with the correct tools(which did indeed help). I looked here on the forum for weeks before because i wanted to change over to ANY 100K plug but most everything i read advised against it. So back in the copper went! Last weekend after talking to the professionals at Summit Racing and having 113K on the truck and 68K on the second set of coppers i decided i was making the change! Throwing advice to the contrary to the wind. I Replaced my factory coil packs with the upgraded Summit Racing higher voltage packs about $250. (just didn't want to take the chance the old packs wouldn't have enough voltage for the switch to iridium plugs) and from Rock Auto 16 new Iridium went in. Been a week no codes! Runs super BUT it did before hand also so hard to quantify anything in that respect. BUT the old seat of the pants test IS very much in effect. I can really feel the difference. I will be tracking the next tank for mileage. THAT is where i hope to see some difference. I was getting 15.6 my normal driving per week and will try to keep same driving habits for this week so I'm comparing apples to apples. BUT even if i gain nothing the extended plug changes was worth all the effort. And yes i do kind of drive my truck until the tires fall off LOL

Last edited:

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
I have a 2013 RAM 5.7 HEMI early build. Purchased new. Not until i was reading the manual did i see my plugs had to be changed every 30K. that i though was strange! BUT at the first change about 45K i knew this wasn't going to fly HEMI motors are a pain to change plugs even with the correct tools(which did indeed help).

i just did my plugs this past weekend. my truck is a 14 with the 100k mile iridium. im at 74k miles now. i should have checked them a while ago. every single plug i pulled was gapped at .038. should be .043. they were all dirty too! i agree, it was a pain in the behind. not hard work. just hard on the body. i had to stand in my engine bay to get the drivers side rear 6. 4" lift didnt help reach from a ladder.

it was a struggle out in high humidity and 85 to 95 degree temps. but im glad i did it. i dont notice too much difference. maybe a little smoother and more responsive at light throttle. i was seeing 17.2mpg on evic last few tanks..i will watch and see if anything changes. i like the idea of new coil packs. kust not in the budget right now.

i highly recommend at the very least checking your plugs. the front passenger sides are super easy to get to. dony assume the dealer/factory did stuff right. same as assuming plugs are correctly gapped out of the box. mine were all off

IMG_20190720_073917.jpg

MarineBSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the discussion - I'm a way off from this (<11K), but it's bookmarked for reference when the time comes. That will be well before 100K, because I have had to deal with nearly-seized set of plugs in an aluminum head before. Too nerve-wracking !

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
i just did my plugs this past weekend. my truck is a 14 with the 100k mile iridium. im at 74k miles now. i should have checked them a while ago. every single plug i pulled was gapped at .038. should be .043. they were all dirty too! i agree, it was a pain in the behind. not hard work. just hard on the body. i had to stand in my engine bay to get the drivers side rear 6. 4" lift didnt help reach from a ladder.

it was a struggle out in high humidity and 85 to 95 degree temps. but im glad i did it. i dont notice too much difference. maybe a little smoother and more responsive at light throttle. i was seeing 17.2mpg on evic last few tanks..i will watch and see if anything changes. i like the idea of new coil packs. kust not in the budget right now.

i highly recommend at the very least checking your plugs. the front passenger sides are super easy to get to. dony assume the dealer/factory did stuff right. same as assuming plugs are correctly gapped out of the box. mine were all off

View attachment 174274

You sure you're reading your gapping tool right,that looks like a hell'va sized 0.038" gap going by the pic you posted

Thale51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm almost done with mine! I got 12 of them changed last Thursday, and saved the back four on the driver's side for this weekend when it's cooler and I have enough time to change them out. The passenger side wasn't all that bad, but the driver's side about drove me mad lol.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm almost done with mine! I got 12 of them changed last Thursday, and saved the back four on the driver's side for this weekend when it's cooler and I have enough time to change them out. The passenger side wasn't all that bad, but the driver's side about drove me mad lol.

I change my plugs yearly on my toy,and have never had an issue with the drivers side,a 1" and 3" extension drop them in the hole on top of the plug socket,and your all set,a small magnet to pull the plug out,and use a short piece of fuel line hose shoved on the end of the plug to re-install it in the head.I hate the back ones on the pass side under the wire loom more,they're the ugly ones to get out in my opinion,lol.