2015 CC 8 spd front driveshaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone had issues with the front driveshaft cv joint boot splitting? I was under the truck a couple weeks ago changing out the Trans thermo bypass thingamajig and noticed grease all over my cross member and elsewhere. Realized it was coming from the front driveshaft. Looks like it has been that way for awhile. I'm not too upset about it as I already received a dorman replacement for about $360 that is coated black and I've always wanted to pull the shafts and coat with por-15 due to their obnoxious surface rust. I don't use 4x4 a lot, so I am surprised it's already busted with about 100k miles on a 2015. Just wondering if it may be due to the angle with the 6 inch lift and if there's anything I can do to prevent premature wear again.

Also for anyone's reference the rubber boot that goes over the slip yoke to transfer case is called transfer case output shaft boot. I couldn't find it teying to search driveshaft boot and had to go to the dealer to ask. I've got a new one on order and plan for the swap once that comes in.

20211216_120442.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can a mod move this to the general section section please

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lift angle pulling on the boot will do it. I am not sure if there are any type of aftermarket stuff to replace. I can tell U on our Hummers, we had a constant problem of ripping boots. But alas, I do not know enuf to guide U in a direction, one of the mechs are gonna have to chime in.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, for sure the lift angle doesn't help the situation. Looks super clean underneath though for a 2015!

Lol, thanks. It's frustrating having a lifted truck with a clean undercarriage and rusty driveshafts.

I typically get rid of my vehicles right before 100k, but now I'm going to keep my truck for the long haul. Wish I had treated with fluid film from the beginning. Rear axel was coated years ago with por15 because it was starting to get a bit dull and some surface rust. I need to just put the rear on blocks and have some give it some gas while I go to town on the rear driveshaft with a wire brush lol.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Lol, thanks. It's frustrating having a lifted truck with a clean undercarriage and rusty driveshafts.

I typically get rid of my vehicles right before 100k, but now I'm going to keep my truck for the long haul. Wish I had treated with fluid film from the beginning. Rear axel was coated years ago with por15 because it was starting to get a bit dull and some surface rust. I need to just put the rear on blocks and have some give it some gas while I go to town on the rear driveshaft with a wire brush lol.
You don't need anyone giving it gas,it'll rotate lots fast enough at idle,good chance it'll rotate pretty good even in neutral at idle,with the back tires off the ground,lol

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You don't need anyone giving it gas,it'll rotate lots fast enough at idle,good chance it'll rotate pretty good even in neutral at idle,with the back tires off the ground,lol
Good call. Didn't think about that lol

Reminds me of driving through holiday lights last year at the local track. I was so ****** off having to tap my brakes constantly because my truck has more ass in idle than others do with a foot on the gas lol.

Last edited:

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well damn, I was planning on straddling the driveshaft and getting my legs all up in there and around it like a pretzel... would that be bad? Lol
only if you got your buddy up there in the drivers seat "just givin' her bud!" :roflsquared: :favorites13: