2015 HIDs...Enlight or Retro Shop???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Milt IV

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pulling the trigger on HIDs this week so I'd like to get some input from you guys. If you have a 2015 and have used one of these HID kits please tell me the good the bad and the ugly and help me decide.

I hear nothing but good things about JJ at RS but have never purchased from him myself. I did get my LEDs from Enlight and I am very happy with the quality and service I recieved and I like the HID install video they have on their website for the 2015 kit. Both manufacturers seem to have well thought out kits and are priced about the same.

My plan is 35W 6k HID lows and 6k LED fogs to match. Might go HID on the fogs eventually but I would like to retrofit some projectors for them first.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Mauzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I bought my lows from retroshop last week and sadly the wife kept me busy working inside all weekend so I haven't gotten to install them yet. That being said I sent Jeremy an email at 10:40 and received a reply at 10:45, second email at 10:53 reply at 10:57. I ordered at 11:00 and received a shipping confirmation at 11:10. Pretty hard to argue with!

Also with the retroshop kit you do not have to drill a hole in your headlight housing which i liked but it may not bother you either way. I should have comparison pics after this weekend.

JGBimle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got my kit from theretrofitsource.com because that's where I got my projectors so I just ordered them all together. I think JJ has some of their products on his site and when I talked to the guys at TRS they told me to go to him by name with install questions so they must work with him a good bit. So I'm gonna assume my kit from TRS is what his kit is or very similar. It works flawlessly. No issues as of yet.

OP
OP
Milt IV

Milt IV

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks fellas. I do like the idea of not drilling the dust cap. How is he getting around this?

After looking at led fog options for the 15 it looks like I might just go HID for the fogs right off the bat. I see retro shop offers low and fog HID kits for the 2015 so it looks like I'm leaning that way as of now.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
JJ has always done me right, two set of headlights, never used Enlight.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
I bought my lows from retroshop last week and sadly the wife kept me busy working inside all weekend so I haven't gotten to install them yet. That being said I sent Jeremy an email at 10:40 and received a reply at 10:45, second email at 10:53 reply at 10:57. I ordered at 11:00 and received a shipping confirmation at 11:10. Pretty hard to argue with!

Also with the retroshop kit you do not have to drill a hole in your headlight housing which i liked but it may not bother you either way. I should have comparison pics after this weekend.

This here ^^ is a very great reason to work with Jeremy. Not only are the products he sells/build top notch is customer service is outstanding. Always very quick to reply with good, helpful information. Invaluable if you happen to get a little stuck during install and need some feedback.

OP
OP
Milt IV

Milt IV

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks like the general consensus around here is retro shop.

Nobody has had any issues with his 2015 kit?

stricnine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought the 60W kit from RetroShop for my previous RAM. While the customer service was great, and the kit and instructions were fantastic, I had nothing but issues out of the fogs. Burnt out bulb, replaced, busted bulb that spit debris into my fog lamp housing, replace entire fog light assembly. I have vowed to never own an HID kit again. I won't be the guy riding down the road with a burnt out bulb and crossing fingers hoping they work every day. The OEM HID's on my Durango R/T and Charger R/T are awesome and really woke me up to the difference between projection housings and a standard halogen housing as well.

Either way RetroShop is a terrific place of business, good luck to you!

ohengineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm running the Enlight 50W kit in my '15, could not be happier with the kit, craftsmanship, and service from Max. Definitely recommended.

Enlight

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Pulling the trigger on HIDs this week so I'd like to get some input from you guys. If you have a 2015 and have used one of these HID kits please tell me the good the bad and the ugly and help me decide.

I hear nothing but good things about JJ at RS but have never purchased from him myself. I did get my LEDs from Enlight and I am very happy with the quality and service I recieved and I like the HID install video they have on their website for the 2015 kit. Both manufacturers seem to have well thought out kits and are priced about the same.

My plan is 35W 6k HID lows and 6k LED fogs to match. Might go HID on the fogs eventually but I would like to retrofit some projectors for them first.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

If you have any questions regarding our kit do let me know. We only offer LED fog lights vs HID fog lights for safety reasons.

Most fog lights housings are not designed to handle the huge amount of light generated by HID systems, both in both optical and thermal domains. The size of headlight housings or a projector are more effective at putting light in the correct beam pattern and keeping it controlled. Fog lights are usually much smaller and have limited capacity to minimize glare.

Although Halogen bulbs to get extremely hot, the problem comes from the extra light generated by the HID systems. the reflectors inside the housing are coated with aluminum which is about 90% reflective. So for every photon that hits the reflector about 10% of them gets absorbed as heat. For a 35W HID system that produces 3x more light than the stock halogen, that directly translates to 3x as much heat generated due to light absorption. This effectively can degrade fog light housings at an accelerated rate, and in the worst case, cause them to melt. LED's run much cooler than HID or Halogen.

Now there are some OEM fog light housings out there which can take the extra heat, BUT there is still the optical consideration which is frequently an issue. I have not had any long term testing with HID's in the RAM fog lights so unfortunately I have no data on those.

Hope this helps!

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have Retroshop HID's in my projector and my fogs. Both are 35w and 5000k. I've had them for about a year and have never had an issue with them flickering or going out. The only issue I have is when I turn my fogs on it will sometimes interfere with my FM radio. I called JJ and he told what the problem was and its easily fixable. Great customer service and 5 year warranty for the 35 watt and I was sold.