2016 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 dually w/ ISEN tranny -- Oil cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heytimothy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hi All-
'Looking for some ideas/suggestions. I pull an LQ horse trailer thats about 30k LBS. total (truck and trailer) when fully loaded. I am having issues with keeping my oil temp down (213 -230 highest). I do downshift (ISEN gearing) and slow way down to try to lower the oil temp. I am wondering if there is an aftermarket additional or other oil cooler I can install to help. Any ideas?

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
From what I have read and seen posted 230 max is oaky if your using quality oil, what is your water & trans temp running at? Have you checked to see if things like your radiator, & AC condenser along with all the other coolers in then front end are not full of dirt & bugs as that will restrict air flow. Also do we assume the temps given are in the hills and if so what speed are you trying to maintain climbing the grade?

OP
OP
H

heytimothy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Yeah, I need to check the other coolers. I just did a cross country trip. Yes, I use high quality oil and high temp is going up a grade. Other temps seem to be in normal ranges.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There's three things you won't find on that Ram Cummins engine: glow plugs, oil pressure sensor, oil temperature sensor.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Those temperatures are normal and expected under heavy load. I’ve see that and more plenty of times with a hard working Cat or Cummins. On industrial and fleet engines that do have complete instrumentation.

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
There's three things you won't find on that Ram Cummins engine: glow plugs, oil pressure sensor, oil temperature sensor.
I wondered about glow plugs (with the grid heater), but without oil pressure/temperature sensors, how do they get the numbers that they display?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
without oil pressure/temperature sensors, how do they get the numbers that they display?
calculations based off of engine temp and rpms. I was a bit surprised when I found out about the temp sensor, at least that's a real sensor on the EcoDiesel.

Including the glow plugs in the list is the ongoing joke about Cummins having glow plugs, something that haven't used in any Dodge/Ram truck(even the original 5.9).

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I am a gauge watcher & I wasn't too happy when I found out they were not using temp sensors on everything! I know my tranny is fluctuating more than 2 or 3 degrees when I am pulling my 5th wheel. Is this all to just save money? I spent an extra 10k to have a Cummins you would think I could at least be able to know what my true temps are!!! :mad:

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I am a gauge watcher & I wasn't too happy when I found out they were not using temp sensors on everything! I know my tranny is fluctuating more than 2 or 3 degrees when I am pulling my 5th wheel. Is this all to just save money? I spent an extra 10k to have a Cummins you would think I could at least be able to know what my true temps are!!! :mad:
If you are worried then change out the trans Thermo Bypass Valve for a free flow one like this one if you have the 68 RFE: https://goerend.com/i-30497690-full-flow-cooler-link.html or install a new pan and install a temp probe... I'm not sure sure of the set up on the Aisin or if they have a Thermo Bypass Valve, so far I have not read of an Aisin burning up from over heating...

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yeah I had one on my last truck 16' Ram 2500 w/6.4. It dropped the temp an easy 25-30 degrees. I wasn't going to do it because my temps stay pretty level on this truck & then I found out that's not the true temp! :favorites68: