2017 2500 6.4, antifreeze smell?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Holy smokes! I didn't know the 6.4 Hemi had an EGR cooler.......it has to be from your pics.

I knew the 6.4 PCV was "internal" compared to the 5.7. Amazing what you find when you open one up. Your model year is same as mine.

Thanks for pics.

mrfix1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
i had no idea Either looks like a big job but i found it an easy job to fix, removing the intake
is a simple job on these new trucks not like the older 5.2 L magnum that was a pain and way more work.
The hose you see in the pic only has 100,000 miles on it its OEM looks to be Breaking down i think this OEM coolent is not good Along with the high pressure in the cooling system in the high temps for the hoses.
i had a coolent smell sins about 15,000 miles on the truck i could never fine the sorse of it but i think this was one of the problems
and the lower hose on the motor has some white build up witch Leads me to Believe may be the couse.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

mrfix1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
one thing i found that i dont like is the amount of oil gum buildup inside the intake ports along the walls bad.
i think i will be installing an oil catch can to see if that helps.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
one thing i found that i dont like is the amount of oil gum buildup inside the intake ports along the walls bad.
i think i will be installing an oil catch can to see if that helps.

I'd talked this over with Nick @ GotExhaust, but he said there's no off-the-shelf kits to retrofit this internal beast. I'm getting a bit too long in the tooth to custom fab something for this mess under the intake plenum.

Really strange they did this compared to the 5.7. How would this hidden system be considered an improvement?

Bob Macknight

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4hemi
Holy smokes! I didn't know the 6.4 Hemi had an EGR cooler.......it has to be from your pics.

I knew the 6.4 PCV was "internal" compared to the 5.7. Amazing what you find when you open one up. Your model year is same as mine.

Thanks for pics.
pvc on a 6.4 isnt internal take off the plastic engine cover,looking at the front of the intake you will see a rather odd shaped piece of foam with a electric plug,release the plug and pull up carefully that faom and you will find said pvc just to the left facing the engine,i think its a counter clockwise to unscrew it,andf guess what,if its good IT WILL RATTLE

ram-a-roni

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks like I am joining the mystery coolant smell club. 2018 ram 2500 6.4 with 50000 miles. Have a coolant smell with coolant loss but dealer cant find anything.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
At least most of them don’t have coolant loss. My dealer assured me they have a vent system on them. Although I dunno.

mrfix1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Update on the coolent smell for my truck after fixing the hoses at the EGR cooler weirdly enough I do not have the odour any longer.
but i will be changing the clamps on the other hoses as well just to be safe i did find one of the clamps was not clamping tight Enough it was week.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
My 2015 6.4 Hemi has always had the antifreeze smell after driving. I have never had a leak though. The coolant level has never been lower than the fill and full lines on the reservoir.

I always kinda wondered why it gave off that smell though.

mrfix1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
i never had a leak as well till now but like others just a smell after i put new clamps and new hoses on the egr cooler no more smell like i had before.

mrfix1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
so its Been a while now still no antifreeze odour and i have my truck ideal for about 4 hours a day and 3 hours of driving.

Note !!
I did forget to say i found the clamps holding the hose were not able to be reused as i fund they had lost there Tension abilities to hold down the hose tightly to the steel pipeing Replace them with pex tubing clamps.

Last edited:

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
yeah I still have a strong smell of coolant with no loss. My fathers doesn't seem to smell anymore but I noticed his coolant levels are much lower than mine in the two visible coolant reservoirs. I'm going to suck some of mine out to see if it makes any difference in the odor.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That didn't seem to help although maybe it's not as strong. I'm ordering a new cap for the reservoir to see what happens.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the resorvior or expansion tank or however you want to call it is part of the pressurized system. what ever is in there also is heated just the same. vapors go out the small hose on the side. offroad motorcycles have used this same method for 40yr.
older vehicles more than a few years usually have a remote expansion tank that isnt part of the main pressurized system. there for, whats in the tank isnt heated and wont give off any vapor

Senodil

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
Cummins
18, 2500 70K on the clock. Well I have smelled it many times and my radiator light was coming on when the truck was cold but after running it for a minute it went away so I thought it was the switch in the reservoir. Im down about half a gallon overall, no antifreeze in oil, not sure what is the next step..... Except watch it.