2017 RAM 4x4 limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Had my pick up out today, everything was fine until I pulled in my driveway and put it in park. After I put it in park it seemed like the pick up rolled back a little bit. Now I can’t get the ignition to go to off. I can get the motor to shut off, but it stays on accessory. Also the service transmission and park light keeps flashing when in park. If I put it in gear it seems to run OK, but as soon as I put it in park and release the reak the motor shuts off. 96K on the pick up. At one point the rotary shifter knob was stuck in neutral but I was able to get it to go to Park, that’s when all the flashing, service transmission lights come on. Right now I have the negative battery lead unhooked, any ideas?
5.7 / 8 speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
Drive it and see if it changes when you come back.

OP
OP
I

IMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I’ll be able to drive it in a few minutes to see if it resets, I’m going to drive to my local AutoZone as long as I can, and have them check the code it’s throwing. I’ll check back in once I do this. Thx all

OP
OP
I

IMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
OK, after letting the vehicle sit for a little bit more than one hour, I was able to shut it completely off and start it with no warning lights although the engine light still stayed on. The vehicle seem to operate normally. I drove to my local AutoZone and hooked up the analyzer and the error code is a P0850/neutral switch input circuit. The definition says;
“P0850 indicates a fault in the park/neutral switch input electrical circuit for a predetermined period of time”

It cleared the check engine light that was on my dash, so my question is now do I do anything or was this just a oddball thing that happened?

Thanks everybody hopefully this will help somebody else that may experience the same thing.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You show that you live in the midwest, do you have snow? I've seen where the trans linkage gets iced up or snowpacked preventing it from going into park.

OP
OP
I

IMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Actually, where I live we just got 4 inches of snow, it’s pretty rare here but I was out driving in the snow when this happened.

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You show that you live in the midwest, do you have snow? I've seen where the trans linkage gets iced up or snowpacked preventing it from going into park.

8 Ohio Winters and never had it happen ..... And I play like a kid blowin thru drifts and plow piles

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had a pin not set on a wiring harness that kept me from getting out of park shortly after I bought my truck. The intermittent nature makes me think wiring.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8

The 8 speed is electronically shifted.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The 8 speed is electronically shifted.

But the shift mechanism is on the outside of the trans case. There is at least 1 thread in this forum where that has happened to a few members.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
But the shift mechanism is on the outside of the trans case. There is at least 1 thread in this forum where that has happened to a few members.

Oh, *demonic screeching*.