2018 Laramie 1500 4X4 5.7L - To switch gears, or not to switch gears?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeDirtHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Laramie 1500
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hey y'all,

Just got me a Hemi, whhhhhheeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!

But, it has the factory 3.21 in it. I want the 3.92.

Just like every other post about this topic, I know there are a lot of threads that exist, and I am perpetuating the problem. There are so many threads here that exist, its hard to find the info that I am looking for and because this truck is so new (bought off the lot 3 days ago!), I have been having trouble finding definite answers.

I want the 3.92.

Realistically, what would something like this cost to replace?

I will be towing a camper, and possibly more stuff in the future. But I am set that I really want the shorter gears. Just over all capability and power improvements are worth it to me.

Thanks a lot everyone... appreciate the responses in advance.

laffs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
4x4 or 4x2? 4x4 is going to be twice the cost (obviously), which in my area is around $400-$500 per axle depending on brand of gear. Plus whatever your dealer charges you to have the sales code reflashed to the 3.92 gears.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have a private shop do the work I'd get the gears and possibly the install kit(depending on the mileage) from Moe's. Does your truck have limited slip? If not it might be a good time to add it, if your inside the rear differential anyway. You can also get the limited slip from Moe's. I think that the estimate of around $500 per axle is pretty close unless you have a friend that knows how to set up the gears. i would definitely have someone do it that has had lots of experience.
Jay

OP
OP
JoeDirtHemi

JoeDirtHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Laramie 1500
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you have a private shop do the work I'd get the gears and possibly the install kit(depending on the mileage) from Moe's. Does your truck have limited slip? If not it might be a good time to add it, if your inside the rear differential anyway. You can also get the limited slip from Moe's. I think that the estimate of around $500 per axle is pretty close unless you have a friend that knows how to set up the gears. i would definitely have someone do it that has had lots of experience.
Jay

There's about 220 miles on the truck.

There is a LSD, but Ram calls it the "Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle", and its on there.

I'll have to check out Moe's, I am not familiar.

Thanks.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Moe's is a preferred vendor on this site that has a sterling reputation for not only the help he gives members but also for the wide variety of parts he offers.
Jay

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep---Matt is his name
Jay

OP
OP
JoeDirtHemi

JoeDirtHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Laramie 1500
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just got a quote from the dealership to switch the gears.

Dealer quoted me at $5250 to change the gears because the front differential is not serviceable.

That is insane...

DIRTRIDER

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 REBEL
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Not an expert by any means but I'm told the ring gear is welded to the front carrier in the newer 4X4 1500's. Which means to regear you have to change the carrier assembly in the front. When you look at parts catalog you can get factory rear ring/pinion separately but not for the front. Passed on a '17 model because of this, too much money for regear with anti-spin. If I'm wrong please advise, thx.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Yeah you have to buy a new front diff and then the rear is standard swap.
The front diff is not to bad priced really, or find one out of a wrecked truck.

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
Cheapest option would be to find a wrecked truck with no axle damage and just swap yours out. Thats what I did to get my gears, found a wrecked truck and swapped the whole axle assemblies.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^ does anyone know for sure if the 18's front differentials are the same as some of the early models--13-14-15-16's???? I haven't heard of anyone taking one apart yet.
Jay

DIRTRIDER

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 REBEL
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Cheapest factory OEM parts I could find for front carrier/ring/pinion, rear ring/pinion with anti-spin carrier and install kits was a little over $2000. That's with no labor. My **** nature struggles a little when you spend $50,000 on a new truck and then put used parts in it. Would be nice to find a real low mileage wreck for the swap.

1quick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
See if the dealer will return the truck and get you a different one. I think my dealer was 5 days or 250 miles.

nplenzick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What are you towing? I'm having no problems towing 6500lbs with your same set up.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same struggle here I want to do gear swap but the money is insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same struggle here I want to do gear swap but the money is insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going price is $500 labor and install kit per axle. I only know jeeps, not rams, so im not sure if your 3:21 carriers will accept 3:92 gears. If they dont, now is the time to install a true detroit locker in the rear, and a detroit true trac up front.
Truck sill go anywhere off road, and still drive ok on the street.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Going price is $500 labor and install kit per axle. I only know jeeps, not rams, so im not sure if your 3:21 carriers will accept 3:92 gears. If they dont, now is the time to install a true detroit locker in the rear, and a detroit true trac up front.
Truck sill go anywhere off road, and still drive ok on the street.

No lockers for the later ZF front diffs ,your 2010 still has the earlier AAM front diff and rear diff so your options are a lot better then the later ZF diff's options are.You can put a DTT in the later rear ZF diff,but it's not cheap.Matt/Moes was working on a complete kit to do it,not sure if he has it on his site yet.You need one extra drivers side axle/the earlier AAM ring and pinion/install kit etc. to put a DTT in a rear ZF diff,it'll lighten your wallet a fair bit to do the DTT swap into a ZF diff,i speak from s'perience,lol.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357