2018 Ram Mystery Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
So i guess this is not just a 5.7 problem

OP
OP
dlromo

dlromo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yea it sucks, taking time off from work to get it to the dealer is the worst part for me...I work out of town

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Yea it sucks, taking time off from work to get it to the dealer is the worst part for me...I work out of town
I remember those days. dont really miss it. if mine does this to me. ill just do headers. i dont care about the warranty anyway.

OP
OP
dlromo

dlromo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just need a good diagnosis, still not 100% sure what the noise is or what's causing it

OP
OP
dlromo

dlromo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Welcome to my world. 2018 2500 CC 2WD 5200 miles. Exhaust leak since delivered. Like you and the others, I thought a serpentine pulley or follower with a bad bushing or bad serpentine belt. No. Have had two dealers confirm that it is an exhaust leak, south of the passenger side manifold. The week of 6/18 the dealer replaced a number of exhaust parts including manifold bolts. Picked up on 7/22, same problem until the exhaust system fully warms up. Put it in gear and it comes back louder, longer. Dealer wants it back the second week of July. Has a tech who specializes in this type of problem coming in to resolve. Service manager and Ramcare are determined after 7 mos to resolve. Will not accept the truck back until this defect is resolved.

your truck is at the dealer now? hope they can fix it and tell my dealer what they did

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
your truck is at the dealer now? hope they can fix it and tell my dealer what they did
Dealer called me today. Been in service since 7/9. Unable to find the exhaust leak. Whole new exhaust system ordered and shipped. Should get it back Wed or Thu next week. Will see.

OP
OP
dlromo

dlromo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Dealer called me today. Been in service since 7/9. Unable to find the exhaust leak. Whole new exhaust system ordered and shipped. Should get it back Wed or Thu next week. Will see.

any news on your truck and it's spanking new exhaust?

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Not yet. New exhaust system (parts) won't be in until this afternoon. Have a call into them, as I want to know what parts FCA is sending the dealer. I will be sure to update members.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
any news on your truck and it's spanking new exhaust?
Edit: Just got a call from the service manager. FCA sent an entire new exhaust system. Manifolds to tail pipe. He wants to keep overnight and cold start tomorrow to verify that exhaust leak is fixed. Pretty confident, but will see.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Got my truck back yesterday. All new exhaust parts. The tech stated on the work order, for the second time, factory assembly defect. Cold start this morning, still leaking. Not as loud but when you put it in gear, the exhaust screech/hiss comes back. Notified dealer. Will drive it for a few days and see if new parts need to take a set. If not, it will go back.

OP
OP
dlromo

dlromo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Got my truck back yesterday. All new exhaust parts. The tech stated on the work order, for the second time, factory assembly defect. Cold start this morning, still leaking. Not as loud but when you put it in gear, the exhaust screech/hiss comes back. Notified dealer. Will drive it for a few days and see if new parts need to take a set. If not, it will go back.

sorry to hear that but I doubt it'll fix itself, I don't know what we're gonna do

wish there was more of us so it would become a bigger issue, unless everyone else has given up or just not sharing the solution

Last edited:

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
sorry to hear that but I doubt it'll fix itself, I don't know what we're gonna do

wish there was more of us so it would become a bigger issue, unless everyone else has given up or just not sharing the solution
Yep. Frustrating. We are driving the truck with the windows partially open. Can't take the chance of exhaust fumes getting into the cab. Will see what Dealer and factory say.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, that sucks, sorry to hear about this. All I've got to say is you have more patients than me, I'd be hitting them up for a new truck, plus pain and activation, not to mention putting you're life in danger with exhaust fumes.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
dlromo

dlromo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yep. Frustrating. We are driving the truck with the windows partially open. Can't take the chance of exhaust fumes getting into the cab. Will see what Dealer and factory say.

any updates? how's your truck doing? i'm walking into my nearest dealership soon in hopes of getting something resolved, i've just been calling.........

Sicarius

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L
I had this exact same issue with my new RAM power wagon. The post you referred to could possibly be the one that I wrote on another form. I had taken my truck to the dealership in order to get the squeal noise fixed however after a long and drawn out service issue they told me that it was normal and there was nothing they could do to fix it. They went so far as to tell me that a rep from Chrysler tested two other 6.4 L hemi engines and said they all sound of the same. To this day I call BS however I did get six years worth of free oil changes and tire rotations for my troubles. BTW it still makes this noise until it warms up.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
My hearing isn't what it used to be, to say the least, but in the OP, the sound seemed to increase just about the time the camera went around the rf corner of the truck. There is also something in the sound that seems more like a rattle. Years ago (many, many), heat risers used to sound like that. Could a loose baffle in the exhaust get telegraphed back to the front? Something like that would get hot really fast, too, and finally stick in place.

OP
OP
dlromo

dlromo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Fitz87gn's dealership (and I believe more than one dealership) didn't think it was normal, they replaced his entire exhaust system, but it didn't help.....