2018 Ram Mystery Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
At this time, after 6 appointments, 21 days in the shop and 3 exhaust repair attempts. The exhaust still leaks on start up. The screech/hiss sound can be heard for about 6 minutes until the engine warms up. Noise goes away, cannot be sure the exhaust leak is closed. Dealer is arranging to have a FCA Technical Advisor look at the truck. But they need to have another 2500 6.4 in inventory to do a comparison (for the 2nd time) We thought this problem would be resolved last week when we told that FCA/Ram was sending the dealer a complete new exhaust system. manifolds to tail pipe. They only sent the y pipe from the headers to the exhaust. In replacing those parts, the tech found broken and lose manifold bolts. All new bolts and exhaust gaskets. Exactly the same start up noise. Believe the manifolds are warped, which caused the bolts to snap and once they warp, they must be replaced or surfaced to get them to seal. Have escalated the matter with FCA. Will see what the TA says in August.

14RAM1500BG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is weird is that not at Rams have this issue. I never had a broken ex stud/bolts on any of my 5.7 Rams.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
What is weird is that not at Rams have this issue. I never had a broken ex stud/bolts on any of my 5.7 Rams.
I haven't, either, but I drive like an old man. Oh, wait. I had an '09, '10, '11, '13, and now a '17. One thing I've always tried to do is to avoid pushing it until it's thoroughly warmed up. Not sure if that makes a difference, but it's certainly friendlier toward mechanical things.

OP
OP
dlromo

dlromo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I noticed mine the next morning after purchase, me thinks it was warmed up when I picked it up.

I've made 3 payments on a $40k truck that I'm not happy with.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
From what I have researched and determined. Dealers and FCA do not consider this a common problem. My Vin 3 truck was assembled in Nov-Dec 2017. 2500 6.4 trucks coming out of the assembly plant "today" do not have this problem. That tells me they connected the dots "cause and effect",,,and made changes in the assembly procedure. Two dealer techs documented that this is a "assembly" defect.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
When checking for a sound like that, in addition to using a length of hose to listen, it might be helpful to use something solid, such as a length of rebar or several long socket extentions. If the sound is only when cold and only when in gear, it suggests that maybe the problem could be a hairline crack in the exhaust manifold.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
Sorry for the s l o w l y developing thoughts, but it takes a while for my brain to get going. Since the need for the truck to be in gear, I'd take a really close listen to the last exhaust port on each side and also to the joint in the Y of the exhaust pipe. Has anyone checked the torque on the manifold bolts, especially at the rearward end? I've seen a lot of discussion about flatness, milling, etc., and none about torque on the fasteners. I might have missed it, though. But the little twist that engaging the transmission puts on the engine might be enough to open something up in the exhaust and right about at the Y-pipe is where you'd expect to find it.

sublime154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2018 2500 4x4 CC. Have had the same noise since day one. Would love to know the outcome of this...

OP
OP
dlromo

dlromo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had a heart to heart with service director at local dealership, truck is going in this Thursday, he "sounded" sincere about resolving the issue, will update, also taking care of cruise control recall

I made him watch/ listen to my video, he thought it was a diesel

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2014 6.4 that I traded in had this. only it wasn’t exhaust. Yes it seemed worse at cold idle... but even warmed up and moving I could hear it. I had the dealer and 2 different exhaust shops check it and no one could find the leak. I then started to dig and came to the conclusion of injectors with a mechanic buddy of mine and some members on here confirmed it to, in 2015 the switched to a different injector part number .. which made me curious as well. I feel ur guys pain as it was the one thing I truely hated about my truck, drove me nuts.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Sorry for the s l o w l y developing thoughts, but it takes a while for my brain to get going. Since the need for the truck to be in gear, I'd take a really close listen to the last exhaust port on each side and also to the joint in the Y of the exhaust pipe. Has anyone checked the torque on the manifold bolts, especially at the rearward end? I've seen a lot of discussion about flatness, milling, etc., and none about torque on the fasteners. I might have missed it, though. But the little twist that engaging the transmission puts on the engine might be enough to open something up in the exhaust and right about at the Y-pipe is where you'd expect to find it.
Exactly what the dealer techs thought. They replaced the y pipe last week. Now, at start high idle, very faint exhaust leak. But when put in gear it comes back hard and loud (screech/hiss) for 6 minutes.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
Exactly what the dealer techs thought. They replaced the y pipe last week. Now, at start high idle, very faint exhaust leak. But when put in gear it comes back hard and loud (screech/hiss) for 6 minutes.
Have they ruled out any involvement of the EGR mechanisms?

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Have they ruled out any involvement of the EGR mechanisms?
That has not been mentioned and has not been one of the exhaust parts the service dept has replaced. Now you have me thinking. But your description of the exhaust system flexing when put in gear is dead on. Possible cause and effect. Starting to think that the exhaust system "design" on the 2500 6.4 is flawed. Have 2 tech work orders stating "assembly defect"
Any other thoughts are welcome. We have other members who have this same condition.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Injector tick is a common and normal noise. Can normally only be heard, when you have the hood up and your head in the engine bay. Exhaust leaks present a completely different noise.

OP
OP
dlromo

dlromo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
egr, exhaust, injectors, or backseat, it's not normal and it's really loud and annoying, enough to have others ask what's wrong with your new truck, it'll get resolved one way or another

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Well said. After 7 months, 7 times to the dealer and 21 repair days. I am forcing myself to be calm, reasonable and cooperative. BUT persistent. We keep a battery operated monoxide sensor in the cab, just to be safe. Your right. What, how, who and when are distractions to find the leak and fix it.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
I don't know how the Y-pipe is attached to the manifolds, but that would certainly be suspect, too. Any leaks around there should leave carbon tracking or evidence of hot gases passing. I just love puzzles.

OP
OP
dlromo

dlromo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I agree but as customers with warranty we shouldn't have to look, even though I poke around there every chance I get and have not noticed any signs of leakage

Last edited:

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
I don't know how the Y-pipe is attached to the manifolds, but that would certainly be suspect, too. Any leaks around there should leave carbon tracking or evidence of hot gases passing. I just love puzzles.
Two runs into one. The Y pipe was replaced last week. I am guilty of puzzle solving also. 90% sure that the broken and lose manifold bolts resulted in the manifolds warping. The tech replaced all of the bolts and gaskets. BUT, I don't think you can get warped manifolds to seal properly once they snap the bolts. But that is back to the customer trying to diagnose the cause and fix.