2019 1500 Bighorn Compass issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Russ Kellum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought my truck in June of 2019. I immediately noticed the compass had issues. It would indicate I was traveling SE when I was traveling north or frankly the opposite of whatever direction I was going (I have video and photo proof.) Additionally, while using Android Auto and my phone for GPS, when this happened it seemed to corrupt my GPS. For example, I would be leaving my hotel 800 miles from home and my GPS would show I'm home and give me directions as if I was there. When I unplug my phone, it knows where it is immediately so it'as not the phone. USUALLY, after about 15-20 minutes, the compass corrects and the GPS works properly. I took it to the dealer and all they gave me was "The only fix we know of is driving it around in a circle to calibrate it." Really?!?! That's the best we can do? I'm on the road a LOT and frankly can't spend 20 minutes driving in the wrong direction because of this. Sure, I can just use my phone but, for 43K +, the thing should WORK! I opened a case with RAM and all they said was "If your not happy with the service you received go to another dealer." The dealer was fine. It's the compass and RAM's solution or lack thereof I have issues with.
Long winded, I'm sorry. But, anyone else have this problem? Heard of a fix other than finding a mall to do the circle thing? With all the technology in this truck...I can't BELIEVE that's the best they can do.
Thanks for reading and any advice.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Like the dealer indicated, it needs to be calibrated. This rarely occurs for most owners but it is noted with instructions in the owners manual if it is a problem. This only has to be done once...anything more than that requires a dealer fix as something isn’t right.

This is a common fix for GM, Ram, Ford, etc., and is posted in the owners manual.