2019 1500 Limited, -30-degree dash light show

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MaxGig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We had a recent cold spell where the temperatures dipped below zero for a few days and the wind chill had us at minus 30 for a day. I don't drive my truck daily and have to park it outside.

During the cold spell I tried to remote start my truck and it wouldn't start unless I physically got into it and pushed the start button. Once the weather got warmer, I needed to move it so I could get another car out the garage. When I started it every warning light relating to the BLIS system came on and wouldn't go off, even the check engine light came on.

I moved the truck to the street, turned it off, and worked on my car. Later I drove the truck around the block, all the BLIS warnings went off, but the check engine light stayed on. Yesterday, I started it and there were no lights at all. I had loaned out my scan tool so I couldn't check for codes.

But my question, has anyone experienced anything like this? I'm thinking it was due to the extreme cold but wanted to check here before I venture to the dealership just to be told they can't duplicate the issue.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm guessing it was a reaction to your battery being frozen. And chill factor has nothing to do with it. Ambient air temperature remains the same no matter the 'feels like' temp is to you. If the air temp is 20°, and the surface of something (your hood) is also 20°, the wind can blow and bring the wind chill factor down to 0° but the hood of the truck and the thermometer will still be 20°.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm guessing it was a reaction to your battery being frozen. And chill factor has nothing to do with it. Ambient air temperature remains the same no matter the 'feels like' temp is to you. If the air temp is 20°, and the surface of something (your hood) is also 20°, the wind can blow and bring the wind chill factor down to 0° but the hood of the truck and the thermometer will still be 20°.
Explaining wind chill to folks is the same as explaining tax brackets.... Can't beat the stupid out of them.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Explaining wind chill to folks is the same as explaining tax brackets.... Can't beat the stupid out of them.
I don't think a person not knowing how wind chill actually works makes them stupid. Unless, as I've experienced in the past, they try to argue with me and tell me I'm wrong about it. @MaxGig hasn't done that. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357