2019 5.7 reading 220+ digital temp but not gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doc Voliday

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Vin 2
My 2019 with the 5.7 is reading over 220 on the digital display but the analog temp gauge is reading below half way. Only reason I noticed the temps was this truck is new to me and I was playing with the digital display at a red light. I pulled into a parking lot and the radiator fan isn’t kicking on.

this leaves me with 2 issues. Only 1 issue I suppose if the fan kicks on by what the analog gauge says but the two different temp readings are worrying.

Do I have 2 separate temp sensors on this truck? Maybe there’s air in the line and one isn’t reading correctly not kicking the electric fan on?

I really hope it’s not some more complex electrical issue. I’m still within the 7 days I can return the truck for a full refund.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2019 with the 5.7 is reading over 220 on the digital display but the analog temp gauge is reading below half way. Only reason I noticed the temps was this truck is new to me and I was playing with the digital display at a red light. I pulled into a parking lot and the radiator fan isn’t kicking on.

this leaves me with 2 issues. Only 1 issue I suppose if the fan kicks on by what the analog gauge says but the two different temp readings are worrying.

Do I have 2 separate temp sensors on this truck? Maybe there’s air in the line and one isn’t reading correctly not kicking the electric fan on?

I really hope it’s not some more complex electrical issue. I’m still within the 7 days I can return the truck for a full refund.

Mine did the same thing and I asked the service department and they said it runs a little hotter but I found when it starts getting where I don't like it I just turn the air conditioner on and the fan automatically comes on and the temp drops back down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Doc Voliday

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Vin 2
Mine did the same thing and I asked the service department and they said it runs a little hotter but I found when it starts getting where I don't like it I just turn the air conditioner on and the fan automatically comes on and the temp drops back down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that makes me feel a little better but I’m still concerned as to why the analog gauge doesn’t appear to match the digital temp at all. At 220+ shouldn’t it read more than half way? Mine is good little below half on the analog gauge. When I pulled in the AC was on and the fan wasn’t running.

OP
OP
D

Doc Voliday

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Vin 2
I just drove it home watching the temps and the fan is running now. Maybe I’m just being overly cautious it being a new to me truck but I’m still not happy with the analog gauge not having moved at all. I’ll look at it from a cold start later to see if it even goes down. I honestly haven’t paid attention to it from a cold start yet

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
They run them hotter than they used to, completely normal. I don't think the electric cooling fan kicks on till around 222. They set the normal range for the gauge to reflect this. The analog gauge will probably read the same from 190-225.

arthur dwyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi e-torque
my digital reads 206-210 on a normal day-analog about halfway or less-2019 limited 5.7 hemi

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2020 was only 500 miles on it got up to 224 today while idling. Fan kicked in and temp went down to 210.

I assume it’s normal. I’m just used to my 2014 that ran at 185 all the time.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Ignorance was bliss in the days before digital gauges appeared. Radiators have special caps so the coolant can run hotter and not evaporate into the air. ATF fluids have a flash point of 350 degrees but folks still get concerned when the gauge shows a temperature over 200.