2019 aftermarket LED Taillight bulb issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Learylax3r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My friend purchased some LED Taillight bulbs from Diode Dynamics and while they worked originally, the tail light function stopped working. The brake lights still illuminate just fine. I helped him with the install because I have AlfaOBD. He has the security bypass module and other swapped LEDs work fine on the truck. There is no bulb out warning on the dash, but alfa sees a trouble code for a short circuit to ground on the left tail light, the DTC bypass was not selected. When he put the stock halogen tail lights back in, everything worked as it should.

My question is, what would cause this issue with the LED bulbs, is there a separate voltage for brake vs running tail light like the parking/turn signals or are they separate circuits entirely?

Thanks in advance for your input

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it both L and R bulbs or just one side not working for running lights?

OP
OP
Learylax3r

Learylax3r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The fuses I checked looked good, I couldn't find one that specifically said tail lights, but I checked the trailer tails and exterior lights fuses, plus the original halogen bulbs worked as normal when put back in, so I think I can rule out a fuse

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The fuses I checked looked good, I couldn't find one that specifically said tail lights, but I checked the trailer tails and exterior lights fuses, plus the original halogen bulbs worked as normal when put back in, so I think I can rule out a fuse
I think you've narrowed it down to bad/incompatible bulbs.