2022 2500 Vibration saga - - Transfer case additive?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Captnrich

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'll try to keep the story brief.
I've owned my 2500 Cummins since new, Dec 2012. A few months ago I noticed a slight vibration, usually at highway speeds. I figured it was the tires since they were getting worn almost to the wear bars.
Bought new tires for a local tire shop. I've been buying tires there for 15+ years and they specialize in 4X4 trucks.

They put on a set of Continental AT's. I drove it home and the vibration was very bad.
OK back to the tire guys. Rebalance, same result. Back again, said they found 1 tire had a "bad spot."
Replaced it. Same result. Bad vibration.
They replace all 4 tires with Continental HT's. Same Vibration.

Now I go to the ram dealer where I bought the truck. They said Tires. OK then you balance them.
Same result. Same Vibration.

They replace the upper ball joints and a tie rod end. Same Vibration.
At this point I ask the service Manager if his tech even bothered to drive it.

They said that the RR rim has a high spot in it but not enough to throw off the balance, They try to balance the RR tire again. Even swapped it for the spare. Same Vibration.

A thought had occurred to my that it started the vibrate when I bought a house in the mountains with a steep gravel driveway last year. The driveway requires me to use the 4WD. I go there about once a month for 5-6 days. I've been careful to follow the shifting procedure.

So I take the tech for a ride last week and mention the use of the 4WD on the driveway. I explained the whole story and asked him to look at the drive train. Motor mounts, Trans mounts, Transfer case, U joints, diffs.....check it all!!!

Today I see the Service Manager and he tell me that they are changing the T-case fluid and putting in an additive and that should stop the vibration.

OK, I'm in the yacht maintenance business. I know a little bit about changing fluids. Can anyone tell me just what kind of additive could they be using to stop a vibration? I'm not buying it.