2022 Ram 3500 Limited Bed Step Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rodey2022Ram3500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
Just took delivery of my 2022 Ram 3500 Limited with Cummins Diesel. I pretty much got all option but did not get bed utility group because of fifth wheel option and also did not get bed step. I purchased the bed step for my truck to install myself but noticed when trying to install there is a wiring bundle in the way probably already anti-collision and Trailer surround view cameras. Not sure how to install step with wire bundle in the way. Has anybody run into this issue and if so how did you get the bed step installed? Attached picture of bundle and attach bolts for bed step. Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• C35199C0-E42A-434D-B616-69253609501A.jpeg
    C35199C0-E42A-434D-B616-69253609501A.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 32

Mike1616

Reaction score
I installed the OEM bed step on my 2022 3500 a couple of weeks ago. I did put some extra zip ties on the wiring harness to keep it from rubbing on the bed step hardware. I'm pretty sure that I had the same wiring harness set up that you have. I can take a look tomorrow and confirm. The OEM step definitely fit better than the aftermarket one I returned.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
I install a AMP bed step on mine but of course I had to move some thing but it's working if I get a chance I will take a pics.

OP
OP
Rodey2022Ram3500

Rodey2022Ram3500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed the OEM bed step on my 2022 3500 a couple of weeks ago. I did put some extra zip ties on the wiring harness to keep it from rubbing on the bed step hardware. I'm pretty sure that I had the same wiring harness set up that you have. I can take a look tomorrow and confirm. The OEM step definitely fit better than the aftermarket one I returned.
Picture of your work would be great. Thanks.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Here is a picture of my bed step where bolted to frame.
Yes, and this is how mine is, once you put those two large bolts in you move that big wire harness over and it shouldn't rub on anything you might have to watch it every once in a while but it's working for me.

randyr6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
I had to have mine remove when I had camper tie downs installed. I'm kind of glad it was removed since it was of no use anyway. The black molding that the cameras are attached too on the bumper doesn't allow for any foot grip. The push down lever on the step is so close to the camera molding that you just cannot get your foot on it. The dealer said there is no play to allow the footstep to be lowered to allow your foot on the push down part of the step.

OP
OP
Rodey2022Ram3500

Rodey2022Ram3500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had to have mine remove when I had camper tie downs installed. I'm kind of glad it was removed since it was of no use anyway. The black molding that the cameras are attached too on the bumper doesn't allow for any foot grip. The push down lever on the step is so close to the camera molding that you just cannot get your foot on it. The dealer said there is no play to allow the footstep to be lowered to allow your foot on the push down part of the step.
randyr6 that is what I am thinking. I have contacted my dealership, but have not received any guidance on what to do with wire bundle. Trying to see how much for dealer would charge to install, but no answer or price quote. I do not want to install (even a Mopar part) bed step if that could or would void my warranty. You can however order the truck with the step bumper and everything else that I got on my truck, I checked and it is allowed to add bed step. I guess I just overlooked that option when making all my selection. Unfortunate, because it would come in handy after fifth wheel in removed to get cargo and wood out of truck. I will post if I hear anything from dealer. Thanks for your insight.

Mike1616

Reaction score
I don't use my foot to lower or raise the bed step. I just use my hand.
As far as impacting the warranty, I'm not worried at all. It's OEM bought from the dealer. What part of the warranty would be affected?

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
what did you do with it?

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That was my opinion the first time I saw the mopar step, useless. I installed the AMP step and it's way better than the mopar unit. Larger pad, easy to deploy and install. And to those wondering about the harness, just push it aside and use a large zip tie against the step brace. The harness is not going to move regardless so there's no chance of damage.

randyr6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
randyr6 that is what I am thinking. I have contacted my dealership, but have not received any guidance on what to do with wire bundle. Trying to see how much for dealer would charge to install, but no answer or price quote. I do not want to install (even a Mopar part) bed step if that could or would void my warranty. You can however order the truck with the step bumper and everything else that I got on my truck, I checked and it is allowed to add bed step. I guess I just overlooked that option when making all my selection. Unfortunate, because it would come in handy after fifth wheel in removed to get cargo and wood out of truck. I will post if I hear anything from dealer. Thanks for your insight.
Yes you can order it and I understand it was an oversite-but if you have the same bumper as I, with the Lane Assist and back up cameras you will have the same issue. It bolts up with 4 bolts-easy to do if you can hold 20 lbs. above you while you install them. I do not know if their special bolts or not. Somewhere in the Dodge site it states that for any non dealer work or installs the Dealer must prove you caused a problem with the truck for them to void the warranty. Magnuson Moss Warranty law or something like that. So your OK to install yourself IMHO. If you have the same bumper as I, don't waste your time because it's not adjustable, per my dealer.

OP
OP
Rodey2022Ram3500

Rodey2022Ram3500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't use my foot to lower or raise the bed step. I just use my hand.
As far as impacting the warranty, I'm not worried at all. It's OEM bought from the dealer. What part of the warranty would be affected?
I was thinking the wiring gets kinked because I moved it from factory installed location to OEM bed step with string ties if wiring goes bad they could blame it on me. Just my thought.

OP
OP
Rodey2022Ram3500

Rodey2022Ram3500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
randyr6 - Got the step installed the dealership had to trim the black molding that the cameras are attached to quite a bit to get clearance. You can not see the trimmed area at all from the back unless you are on your hand and knees. Looks clean and step works with foot or hand. Thanks for your help. See pictures attached.

Attachments

• Step-Trimmed.JPG
    Step-Trimmed.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Wiring-with-Step.jpg
    Wiring-with-Step.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
Rodey2022Ram3500

Rodey2022Ram3500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got the step installed by the dealership, they had to trim the black molding that the cameras are attached to quite a bit to get clearance. You can not see the trimmed area at all from the back, unless you are on your hand and knees. Looks clean and step works with foot or hand. I hope this help future Ram truck owners with bed step installation. Cost was $120 labor so total cost was about $20 more than if I had ordered it. Wish I would have order it, A lot less headache. Just forgot to make sure that was part of my original order. See pictures attached. Thanks everyone for your input!!

Attachments

• Step-Trimmed.JPG
    Step-Trimmed.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Wiring-with-Step.jpg
    Wiring-with-Step.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 4

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A (prior 2010,2019,2022)
Engine
Cummins
I'm looking at getting a bed step on mine. Sounds like either the AMP or the MOPAR are good options. Is the fit the same on a DRW as a SRW? The MOPAR site doesn't ask which you have when sorting for accessories, so thinking it doesn't matter. Just want to be sure so I don't have to deal with returning the wrong part.