2108 2500 6.7 Cummins engine fan running a lot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I probably wouldn't worry about it until it fails. It will fail engaged, so the worst thing that will happen is that it will run full time. If/when that time comes, just replace it. It was relatively inexpensive. I paid a shop to do mine and I think the total cost was less than $500 parts and labor.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have been told the climate control/AC/heat can call for the engine fan to engage even if you/we don't think it's needed, also check to be sure your grill shutters are working...
Grill shutters are open & I have shut the climate control off, not just hitting the fan off button. Stealership is supposed to look at it next Monday. We'll see what garbage they come up with. Sad spending this much money & it having this many problems already. Pretty much doesn't matter what brand you buy these days. QC is a thing of the past!

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You’ll know when the fan clutch took dump when you’ve been driving for a bit and then let it idle and coolant temp doesn’t come down to the opening temp of the thermostat. I had a problem with my 11 doing just that, replaced the factory fan clutch with a Hayden 3291. At idle the temp would creep up to 217 and the fan never kicked in. So I returned it for warranty refund and found another Hayden 3291 that was in a box on the shelf (must’ve bought it long ago and forgot about it). Put that on and now my hot idle temp will go below the thermostat opening temp.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
You’ll know when the fan clutch took dump when you’ve been driving for a bit and then let it idle and coolant temp doesn’t come down to the opening temp of the thermostat. I had a problem with my 11 doing just that, replaced the factory fan clutch with a Hayden 3291. At idle the temp would creep up to 217 and the fan never kicked in. So I returned it for warranty refund and found another Hayden 3291 that was in a box on the shelf (must’ve bought it long ago and forgot about it). Put that on and now my hot idle temp will go below the thermostat opening temp.
I thought someone on here stated that when they fail, they fail in the locked position. Kind of like the new thermostats, when they fail, it is in the open position. With mine locked like it is my engine temps stay 185-190. Even while towing in 90* temps.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
So the dealership was a waste of 2 hours. Told me they tested the fan & it is working properly. I said then there must be a sensor not working properly that is telling it to come on when it is not needed. They didn't think so & told me it is probably on because it is hot out. I said it was 64* when I left for work today, & it still ran the whole time! They didn't even bother to clear the engine code! What shop does that!?! :banghead: I think I will go to a different dealership & see what they say. While they are looking at it I will test drive another Cummins to see if it does the same thing.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I thought someone on here stated that when they fail, they fail in the locked position. Kind of like the new thermostats, when they fail, it is in the open position. With mine locked like it is my engine temps stay 185-190. Even while towing in 90* temps.
Correct.

There may be an instance where it doesn't do that, but they are designed that way. When mine failed my engine temps wouldn't go above 185.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
While they are looking at it I will test drive another Cummins to see if it does the same thing.
My buddies '22 3500 HO CTD fan seems to notice the fan running a lot. He does have the AC going all the time though.
I mentioned this on another thread, you probably notice the fan noise more now that the engine is quiet.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
My buddies '22 3500 HO CTD fan seems to notice the fan running a lot. He does have the AC going all the time though.
I mentioned this on another thread, you probably notice the fan noise more now that the engine is quiet.
Problem is this is my first Cummins in a pickup so I have nothing to compare it to. And it didn't sound like that when I got it. I drive larger trucks & semi's & yes when the fans on them lock up they are loud, but they do not stay locked up ALL the time like my truck is now. The Peterbilt I drive gets to about 205* then the jet engine sounding fan kicks on & within a few seconds it has it down to 185*.

OP
OP
Nugnug

Nugnug

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 CC 4x4
Engine
6.7 CTD
If anyone has the dealer reflash, let me know how you make out. I'm leary of taking the truck to the dealer for any reason.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Not only am I getting the fan noise ALL the time but my check engine light is on. So I figured while I am waiting on the stealership to figure out whats going on I'll go find out what the code is. Throwing a P0113 code. Intake Air Temp Sensor 1 Circuit High. "during this time the customer may notice periods of white smoke as well as the fan running more often"
I am going to replace it myself & see if this fixes it. If it does, this should be very embarrassing for the dealership, as they have had it for a total of 3 days, & could not figure it out. If it doesn't, well I am just out $25. Or I could look at it as I will have a spare one when the other one gets too clogged up. I have read, apparently after tens of thousands of miles, they get completely covered in soot.

OP
OP
Nugnug

Nugnug

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 CC 4x4
Engine
6.7 CTD
68PowerWagon, Thanks for posting. Please let us know how you make out!!!

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Well replacing the IAT did not fix the issue. Just for $hits & giggles I am going to also replace the sensor on the air intake tube itself. I know I am just throwing parts at it, but hey, it's only 20 bucks so I am not out a bunch. Would really like to see what a new clutch fan would do but those are more like 2-300 bucks. Dealer "said" they ran tests on it & it was fine. But they also said my truck was running fine as I pull off their lot with a check engine light on. :mad: Also going to contact Banks to see if it is happening to anyone else with their intake system.

OP
OP
Nugnug

Nugnug

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 CC 4x4
Engine
6.7 CTD
Heya 68PowerWagon. DAMN! Woulda been nice if that fixed it. Good idea to contact Banks. Friggin' dealers are horrible. My truck will be out of warranty in a couple months and I'm happy about it. I wouldn't take a cup of coffee from a dealer. Totally worthless "mechanics."

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Well I finally got mine figured out. When they installed the Banks system they left off a harness extension to one of the many intake temp sensors. I kept seeing this open plug that didn't look like it was terminated at the factory but the guy that did the install & myself could not figure out where it was to go. With a couple phone calls to Banks I figured out that the sensor was under that rubber foam that covers the injections lines. Once I got that hooked up the fan is now running normal. What really burns me is that I took it to the dealer twice & they couldn't figure it out & kept saying that is normal... there is nothing wrong with your truck. The fan running full blast & the check engine light on is NOT normal! I swear the world has gone to hell in a hand basket ever since Covid. Work ethic... GONE, pride in your work... GONE!

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
So the shop that did the Banks install didn't notice they had an extra part from the kit. A harness extension is not like an extra washer.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yeah I know! To be fair I have heard there have been several changes between the 2021 & 2022 models so there was a few things different from the install. They just thought the open plug was another terminated plug, of which there are many under my hood. But this one had a grease marking on it, which means somebody marked it after it was snapped into place. I took it back to them & they couldn't figure out where it went, I looked under the hood multiple times & couldn't find anything either. After talking to customer service at Banks, they told me where the intake sensor was at. Between 3rd & 4th fuel line. So last night I proceeded to start unplugging & moving items out of my way to get to it. And sure enough there it was all covered up by that rubber foam. I assume that foam is there to quiet the injector noise or maybe heat shield the fuel lines. Likely things like that wouldn't have happened if I would have just done the install myself, but I am currently working one full time job & one part time, so I barely have enough time to wipe my own rear! :D

Amusa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
First and foremost you need to get the fan checked

Ramtravis2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Just got this from a guy with the same issue.....

View attachment 526827
Has anyone here tried this? I am days from getting rid of my truck due to the excessive fan usage. I have similar/same problem as everyone above. It's now between 50 and 80 degrees here in AZ. My fan DID used to come on at initial start and shut off EVERY time once I hit 40mph, regardless of in town driving or not it never ran like it does now. Now, at 50Degrees at 4am in the morning driving to work the fan will run all the way up to 95-100mph and not disengage!! to be clear, I NEVER drive that fast, but this fan/fan clutch has pushed me to test at what speed, temperature or anything that will get it to disengage. Sometimes, it shuts off after 15-20 minutes of driving, other times the fan is on for 40+ minutes straight. again, at 50 degrees the truck should be purring like a kitten . . .

would a dirty air filter cause this? **truck never over heats but willing to try everything .. .
I don't know if I have AGS, how can I find it and what do they look like?