2108 2500 6.7 Cummins engine fan running a lot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramtravis2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Well I finally got mine figured out. When they installed the Banks system they left off a harness extension to one of the many intake temp sensors. I kept seeing this open plug that didn't look like it was terminated at the factory but the guy that did the install & myself could not figure out where it was to go. With a couple phone calls to Banks I figured out that the sensor was under that rubber foam that covers the injections lines. Once I got that hooked up the fan is now running normal. What really burns me is that I took it to the dealer twice & they couldn't figure it out & kept saying that is normal... there is nothing wrong with your truck. The fan running full blast & the check engine light on is NOT normal! I swear the world has gone to hell in a hand basket ever since Covid. Work ethic... GONE, pride in your work... GONE!
glad to hear you got yours figured out. this problem is very very frustrating and like we all know, the dealerships are absolutely worthless.

the only modification I have on my truck is an S&B Air intake. I wonder if this same intake temp senor is messed up on mine or like yours . . not plugged in. I did the work myself and i know i didnt leave anything unplugged. however . . the dealership did replace the turbo actuator a few months ago . . I wonder if they had to remove my air intake to get to that area and forgot to plug things back in

OP
OP
Nugnug

Nugnug

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 CC 4x4
Engine
6.7 CTD
Ramtravis, Did you try the dealer reprogam?

Ramtravis2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Ramtravis, Did you try the dealer reprogam?
No I have not. I was asking if anyone has done that yet and if it was affective.
If you or anyone suggests the reprogramming, I will be at the dealership as soon as I am off work today. I have a 1600 mile drive coming up this weekend and the last thing I need is to hear my fan on for most of my two 11-hour drives

OP
OP
Nugnug

Nugnug

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 CC 4x4
Engine
6.7 CTD
Ok. I have the same year truck as you and I live in Mesa. Since it has cooled off, mine's not acting as bad. Let me know what the stealer says please! Sad these trucks have so many issues, but with the price of new ones, it's cheaper to fix these if possible.

Ramtravis2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Ok. I have the same year truck as you and I live in Mesa. Since it has cooled off, mine's not acting as bad. Let me know what the stealer says please! Sad these trucks have so many issues, but with the price of new ones, it's cheaper to fix these if possible.
I just relocated out to Gold Canyon so we are fairly close. I will stop by there today. I have a decent relationship with a gentleman in service department. I diagnose ALL my trucks problems and make it very clear that I'm not paying for diagnostics. I am 3/3 on issues with this truck lol. I'll bet top dollar they wont reprogram. We shall see. Stay Tuned!

**** IF anyone else has done the reprogram please let myself and @Nugnug know.

OP
OP
Nugnug

Nugnug

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 CC 4x4
Engine
6.7 CTD
well, let's stay in touch! I have < 19k miles on mine.

kirk35

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD Tradesman
Thank kirk35. Yeah, it makes no sense to me either. My fuel mileage is dropping some too. Keep me posted please. I'll do the same.
I fixed mine after a 4000 mile trip pulling the TT. As soon as I got back home I sold it.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Has anyone here tried this? I am days from getting rid of my truck due to the excessive fan usage. I have similar/same problem as everyone above. It's now between 50 and 80 degrees here in AZ. My fan DID used to come on at initial start and shut off EVERY time once I hit 40mph, regardless of in town driving or not it never ran like it does now. Now, at 50Degrees at 4am in the morning driving to work the fan will run all the way up to 95-100mph and not disengage!! to be clear, I NEVER drive that fast, but this fan/fan clutch has pushed me to test at what speed, temperature or anything that will get it to disengage. Sometimes, it shuts off after 15-20 minutes of driving, other times the fan is on for 40+ minutes straight. again, at 50 degrees the truck should be purring like a kitten . . .

would a dirty air filter cause this? **truck never over heats but willing to try everything .. .
I don't know if I have AGS, how can I find it and what do they look like?
Sorry I didn't go back through all the posts... Did you get the fan checked? I lost mpg and mine ran constantly until I replaced the clutch. Never had another issue after that.

Ramtravis2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I am getting the truck re flashed as we speak. Later today I start my 870 miles drive. I'll have updates this evening.
I do not believe the fan clutch is bad. . at least from what I can tell with the spin test and no abnormal sounds mechanically. Its obviously running inconsistently and some times for wayyyyy to long. Again, i'll have updates later today.

Ramtravis2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I am getting the truck re flashed as we speak. Later today I start my 870 miles drive. I'll have updates this evening.
I do not believe the fan clutch is bad. . at least from what I can tell with the spin test and no abnormal sounds mechanically. Its obviously running inconsistently and some times for wayyyyy to long. Again, i'll have updates later today.
@Nugnug @nlambert182 - Just got a call from the dealership. There was a TSB Bulletin update for the PCM that hadn't been done to my truck so they performed that re programming. That did not fix the issue. Anger sets in . . . turns out the fan clutch was bad!!! I only put roughly 1500 miles on the one the are taking off today . . So fricken annoying.. Also, I am not the only person in my area having this issue. there were 3 other rams 2500/3500's getting the same work done!
I know nothing will come of this but I almost want to write something to Dodge Ram.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
@Nugnug @nlambert182 - Just got a call from the dealership. There was a TSB Bulletin update for the PCM that hadn't been done to my truck so they performed that re programming. That did not fix the issue. Anger sets in . . . turns out the fan clutch was bad!!! I only put roughly 1500 miles on the one the are taking off today . . So fricken annoying.. Also, I am not the only person in my area having this issue. there were 3 other rams 2500/3500's getting the same work done!
I know nothing will come of this but I almost want to write something to Dodge Ram.

Was the bad fan clutch aftermarket or OEM?

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That's what I suspected... when I had mine replaced the guy that I use said he had replaced a dozen or so. He said he thinks the factory ones were faulty. Like I said though... once he changed mine with another OEM I never had another issue. Hopefully you're good to go after this.

Ramtravis2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Yes, the Fan clutch that was replaced was OEM. So, from what I've gathered, there are (2) types of can clutches. 52014729AB and 52014729AC.
The AB model is supposedly the one that has the issues. However, the AC model is the one they installed less than 3-4 months ago.
yes, @nlambert182 is correct, these fan clutches are prone the being faulty because of their poor design. just something we all have to be comfortable with replacing I guess.

I also have the PCM re flashed so i believe its functioning as good as it is due to not just the clutch replacement but also the re flashing.