3.55 vs 3.92

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caldwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
im late on this I know.

im currently in a position to buy my current lease outright, after dealing with some finanical responsibilities at home. I currently have the 3.55's, and do 90% stop, and go every other block driving. When I swap to a 3.92, am I to expect a significant difference off the line over 3.55's or just a slight increase in pull. 3.55's arent sluggish, but im really curious how a set of 3.92's would feel. I would think that the 3.92's would help improve my local travel mpg slightly. plus I love the feeling of being put back in the seat lol.

MiRamDriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
im late on this I know.

im currently in a position to buy my current lease outright, after dealing with some finanical responsibilities at home. I currently have the 3.55's, and do 90% stop, and go every other block driving. When I swap to a 3.92, am I to expect a significant difference off the line over 3.55's or just a slight increase in pull. 3.55's arent sluggish, but im really curious how a set of 3.92's would feel. I would think that the 3.92's would help improve my local travel mpg slightly. plus I love the feeling of being put back in the seat lol.

Honestly, I'd do some searching. There are two members on this forum that have done that swap with disappointment. Yes, there is a difference - for the cost it is not worth it. You need to look into 4:10's or 4:56's.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
So would this be a better option for us 11 and up guys that have the complicated design for upgrading gears on these years of rams?

This was the reason I put a converter in my truck. To save thousands on a gear swap. 4X4 2012 model I probably saved a few thousand. I still would have preferred the gear swap over the TC though. If mine was a two wheel drive I would have done the gears.

jamiez71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 3.92 in my ram. It tows great and I think gets pretty good mileage. I only drive 9 miles to work. Few redlights and the rest country road and get 14mpg. Out on the highway 17.5-18 tops at 70-75 mph. When I'm working on the river and driving about 6 miles country road and 30 on 2 lane flat along the river I was getting 20 mpg but it was staying in ECO mode darn near that whole 30 miles. It had been a long time since I had a truck that got over 400 miles on a tank of fuel with a small tank.

ghost0623

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've got the 3.92 and am pretty frustrated about the great mpg everyone is bragging about here. No matter how I drive I average between 12-13 city or highway. I dipped into the 10's hauling a large trailer, but the dodge definetely pulled it better than the old K5 Blazer.

Is everyone here full of it or am I just still breaking this thing in?

I feel the same I have 2013 5.7 Hemi with 3.55 LSD and I am only getting 13 MPG avg if I got lucky. Got little better since i put Vavaram and Hemi Fever I am getting 14.5 mpg. ANd no I dont tow nothing. I live in NY if that makes any difference

DavidinGA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport Blue Streak
Engine
I have 3.92 in my ram. It tows great and I think gets pretty good mileage. I only drive 9 miles to work. Few redlights and the rest country road and get 14mpg. Out on the highway 17.5-18 tops at 70-75 mph. When I'm working on the river and driving about 6 miles country road and 30 on 2 lane flat along the river I was getting 20 mpg but it was staying in ECO mode darn near that whole 30 miles. It had been a long time since I had a truck that got over 400 miles on a tank of fuel with a small tank.

I've got the 3.92 (cc hemi 4x2) and think i get phenomenonial mpg all things considered. I'm averaging 19.2mpg on screen and 18.5+ when hand calculated mileage.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've got the 3.92 and am pretty frustrated about the great mpg everyone is bragging about here. No matter how I drive I average between 12-13 city or highway. I dipped into the 10's hauling a large trailer, but the dodge definetely pulled it better than the old K5 Blazer.

Is everyone here full of it or am I just still breaking this thing in?

I feel the same I have 2013 5.7 Hemi with 3.55 LSD and I am only getting 13 MPG avg if I got lucky. Got little better since i put Vavaram and Hemi Fever I am getting 14.5 mpg. ANd no I dont tow nothing. I live in NY if that makes any difference

Mine started to improve a little once I hit 10000 miles but still not what I consider great. My best so far is 17.4 all highway.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's a long shot, but unplug the battery, let it sit for an hour and plug it back in.

The on board computer does remember how you drive and compensates for it. Sometimes just a little reset helps. Just an idea. I don't get great gas mileage because I do local driving within a 10 miles area ( I drive to a train station to work every day).

Try that and let us know if it helps any.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ghost0623

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It's a long shot, but unplug the battery, let it sit for an hour and plug it back in.

The on board computer does remember how you drive and compensates for it. Sometimes just a little reset helps. Just an idea. I don't get great gas mileage because I do local driving within a 10 miles area ( I drive to a train station to work every day).

Try that and let us know if it helps any.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Maybe u r right. I did have to disconnect the battery when I installed CAI and the result was much better than I was expecting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk