3.92 Gear swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Screw the cheap clutch pack oem lsd. Get a detroit locker or truetrac. Same damn price as the factory junk.

Not quite ,lol.To put a True Trac in a ZF requires one extra drivers side axle,the earlier AAM 9.25 ring and pinion ,the Detriot True Trac unit plus a master install kit. It'll clean your jeans out to the tune of 1500 bucks just for parts,and then most guys will have to pay a shop to install everything and set it up properly over and above the cost of the parts.To put the factory limited slip unit in is probably half that cost

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not quite ,lol.To put a True Trac in a ZF requires one extra drivers side axle,the earlier AAM 9.25 ring and pinion ,the Detriot True Trac unit plus a master install kit. It'll clean your jeans out to the tune of 1500 bucks just for parts,and then most guys will have to pay a shop to install everything and set it up properly over and above the cost of the parts.To put the factory limited slip unit in is probably half that cost

Damn! Thats insane! I dont know what to say, im at a loss for words (jaw is hitting the floor)

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Damn! Thats insane! I dont know what to say, im at a loss for words (jaw is hitting the floor)

I like my True Trac,but it wasn't cheap,lol. The local dealer had warrentied my rear limited slip unit a couple times,even though they know my truck lives at the local dragstrip on drag radials,but I was getting tired of burning them up,so went with the DTT when I swapped to 3.55's,and my ass is just starting to unpucker,lol

Rebelcombs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Jury is still out on the welded front diff, there are folks claiming/reporting it was just on the 13’s but no one seems be able to confirm.........biggest issue with the ZF diff is there’s NO AFTERMARKET gears so no go on anything lower than 3.92’s

And this really stinks because the ZF is a high pinion unit and about 1/2” larger so overall it it much stronger

I opened my 2016 rebel up and it is welded.. I do have the picture on my phone now but I can get one

Rebelcombs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So let me make sure I understand. It is the hold front housing out of the earlier truck I need to do the swap? Then I need the gears and carrier too for front locker?

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So let me make sure I understand. It is the hold front housing out of the earlier truck I need to do the swap? Then I need the gears and carrier too for front locker?

You do not want a feont locker, unless you only drive the truck off road. Ask me how I know...i installed a detroit locker in my JK jeep. In the snow around turns, it was scary to say the least. You want a good limited slip/locker in the rear. Could always savs some money and just weld the rear spider gears. My buddy did it on his F350. Its not as bad as everyone says on the street. It doesnt hop and squeel the tires.

Rebelcombs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You do not want a feont locker, unless you only drive the truck off road. Ask me how I know...i installed a detroit locker in my JK jeep. In the snow around turns, it was scary to say the least. You want a good limited slip/locker in the rear. Could always savs some money and just weld the rear spider gears. My buddy did it on his F350. Its not as bad as everyone says on the street. It doesnt hop and squeel the tires.

Well the front has the drive shaft actuator so it wouldn't actually be a "locker" all the time I am gonna try to find out how to manually engage and disengage it. With a switch. Similar to the old Dana 30 yj. I was contemplating welding the front if I can get the actuator to work right.

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
just started this whole fiasco of regearing my 2012. Parts accumulated so far are the diff, ring & pinion, and the new driveshaft (rebuilt with spicer u-joints).

Last piece is trying to find the older diff bracket so I don't need to fabricate my own. So far not as expensive or as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
Also in the rear, Yukon now makes 4.56 gears for the ZF style axles. 2wd guys can go as low as 4.88 too.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well the front has the drive shaft actuator so it wouldn't actually be a "locker" all the time I am gonna try to find out how to manually engage and disengage it. With a switch. Similar to the old Dana 30 yj. I was contemplating welding the front if I can get the actuator to work right.

Problem is in the winter when ya put it in 4 wheel, it will want to go straight around bends. Happened to my JK with detroit front locker. I would suggest an electric or air locker

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I was under the impression you could swap to 3.92 gears on the front since they are factory you just need the whole diff but not replacing the front axle.

Going to something like 4.56's is when you need to swap front axles.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

You mean a front LSD ? Nothing wrong with a true locker up front as you can turn it on and off as needed.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I was under the impression you could swap to 3.92 gears on the front since they are factory you just need the whole diff but not replacing the front axle.

Going to something like 4.56's is when you need to swap front axles.

Correct.