35’s Vs 37’s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wu tang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hello,

So I’ll do a post that has been beaten 1000 times. My question, I’ve been running Yokohama 003 mt for 30,000 miles so far and I love them. They are 35’s. Well I just ordered a new set last week and put them on. I have a 30 day window to use them before I can return for 37’s. I went on a jeep trial this weekend and hit my diff front and rear a few times. In my area, I am mostly on Jeep trails.

So, with 37’s- how much sooner ball joints will fail, how much will my gas mileage go down in and probably have to do a front track bar as well. 35’s have been excellent, especially with stuffing them into the fender. I have had zero issues other then hitting the diff.

Truck- F- fox 2.0 with Thuren .5
R- fox 2.0 with carli r2
I have a diff GUARD for front not for rear
Weight- four wheel camper that’s on 24/7

Last edited:

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Mpg and performance will definitely take a hit going to 37's. Ball joint wear is going to be impossible to estimate but I imagine a wide offset would be more detrimental them going to a taller tire.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
of course the higher offset wheels chew up balljoints as it puts leverage farther out from the joint. only increasing diameter doesnt shift leverage out

AzLandCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can't speak to mpg, but 37s will raise your ground clearance by 1", so, just my $.02, if you are just barely hitting your diff now than maybe 37s will help. Otherwise stay with what you have

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 75th Aniv Build #0006
Engine
6.4 Hemi
FWIW, tread type is much more important to MPG than is size. Often times people 'upgrade' to Mud Terrains at the same time as increasing in size and attribute the MPG hit to the size while it's primarily due to the inefficient tread blocks. Unless you truly need a Mud Terrain for mud, you're almost always better with an All Terrain be it on trail, on snow, or on highway.

This is a good read if you've not seen it before:
https://roadtraveler.net/tread-matters-tire-selection-and-fuel-economy/

Also, make sure your mpg readings are correctly factoring up the miles traveled if you've not adjusted the computer for size.

chaosh1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Dont forget that if your towing the load rating on 37's suck compared to 35's

gtomike60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Regearing would minimize that but there's still rotational mass. The brakes aren't happy either
Re-gearing isn't an option for the 10.5 rear on my truck
I've been getting consistent 12.5 to 13 mpgs highway with the 37s...I'm not complaining

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hello,

So I’ll do a post that has been beaten 1000 times. My question, I’ve been running Yokohama 003 mt for 30,000 miles so far and I love them. They are 35’s. Well I just ordered a new set last week and put them on. I have a 30 day window to use them before I can return for 37’s. I went on a jeep trial this weekend and hit my diff front and rear a few times. In my area, I am mostly on Jeep trails.

So, with 37’s- how much sooner ball joints will fail, how much will my gas mileage go down in and probably have to do a front track bar as well. 35’s have been excellent, especially with stuffing them into the fender. I have had zero issues other then hitting the diff.

Truck- F- fox 2.0 with Thuren .5
R- fox 2.0 with carli r2
I have a diff GUARD for front not for rear
Weight- four wheel camper that’s on 24/7
Well I don't know crap about all the things you asked about but I do know truck campers! How do you like your FWC? Like that you keep it on full time. What model? I hoping one day they come out with a hard side. I'm a full timer in my Capri Retreat and can't do a pop top.

DrTron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
FWIW, tread type is much more important to MPG than is size. Often times people 'upgrade' to Mud Terrains at the same time as increasing in size and attribute the MPG hit to the size while it's primarily due to the inefficient tread blocks. Unless you truly need a Mud Terrain for mud, you're almost always better with an All Terrain be it on trail, on snow, or on highway.
Absolutely true. Since I don't offroad, I was even looking for road tires for the truck, but it was impossible to find 35's with anything "softer" than AT thread.
I mean, the AT's great, but sometimes I wish for a less aggressive thread. Especially when hitting the highway again after driving on gravel and the pebbles get flung out of the thread and hit the truck for the first quarter mile. Didn't have that on my 1500 with regular road tires...

mtu1293

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I vote 37s....... Had mine for a few years and no regrets. Thats many thousands of miles towing, offroading, DD, it does it all. Still average about 14.5mpg back n forth to work, and when sticking around 60ish mph have seen 16mpg. And towing, lol, are trucks can't tow for crap already as it is, so even if the 37 was a lower range, it would still be okay.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat